Posted on 01 January 2012
Test your knowledge with these Coast Guard license exam prep questions from the National Captain’s Institute
1. INTERNATIONAL RULES: Which of the following signals would be sounded when backing out of a slip?
A. three short blasts when in sight of another vessel
B. one long followed by three short blasts when in sight of another vessel
C. one prolonged followed by three short blasts when in sight of another vessel
D. five or more short blasts
2. INTERNATIONAL RULES: What is a vessel displaying three red lights in a vertical line?
A. not under command
D. constrained by draft
3. INTERNATIONAL RULES: All vessels at all times must:
A. keep lights on
B. operate at moderate speed
C. signal each turn
D. keep a good lookout
4. What happens when you enter shallow water at high speed?
A. speed decreases
B. stern is sucked down
C. rudders are sluggish
D. all of the above
5. What does the “B” on a B-II fire extinguisher mean?
A. size of the extinguisher (capacity)
B. weight of extinguisher agent
C. class of fire
D. where extinguisher belongs
1.A (Rule 34) 2.D (Rule 28) 3.D (Rule 5) 4.D 5.C
This article originally appeared in the January 2012 issue.