This beacon in Bristol, Maine, sits on Pemaquid Peninsula and was built in 1835.
The first lighthouse built here, just eight years earlier, had to be replaced when it began to crumble because salt water was used in the mortar. Automated in 1934, the lighthouse is featured on the Maine quarter. The Coast Guard owns the active aid to navigation, and the town operates the beacon and outbuildings as a park and museum.
This article originally appeared in the February 2012 issue.