St. Michaels, Md.
A 37-foot 1931 Potomac River dory built by Francis Raymond “Peg Leg” Hayden in Banks O’Dee, Md., is undergoing restoration at the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum in St. Michaels.
During the winter months, shipwrights, apprentices and volunteers will work on several aspects of the project, including replacing the bottom planking. They also will fabricate a new forefoot for the stem and a new section of deadwood with the shaft alley drilled into it.
About 60 percent of the boat will be reframed. Cosmetic upgrades and reinstallation of the engine will complete the project.
The boat will be painted in traditional dory colors: green, red and yellow stripes on the lapped sheer strake, with the topsides and decks painted white. Known as the “big dory,” it was one of the few of its type to be fitted with wheel steering. www.cbmm.org
This article originally appeared in the February 2012 issue.