Montauk Point Lighthouse
Posted on 01 March 2012
Written by Rich Armstrong
Built on the tip of Long Island’s south fork and authorized by President George Washington, New York’s first beacon is the fourth-oldest active lighthouse in the United States.
Construction began June 7, 1796, and was completed Nov. 5. Built of sandstone blocks from Connecticut, the walls are 6 feet thick at the base, tapering to 3 feet at the top of the 110-foot, 6-inch tower. The light flashes every 5 seconds and can be seen for a distance of 19 nautical miles.
This article originally appeared in the March 2012 issue.