Posted on 01 June 2012
Written by Michael LaBella
Test your knowledge with these Coast Guard license exam prep questions from the National Captain’s Institute www.captains.com
1. INTERNATIONAL RULES: A vessel displaying red, white, red lights is:
A. towing a barge alongside
B. under way, laying cable
C. anchored and on pilotage duty
D. under way, carrying dangerous cargo
2. INTERNATIONAL RULES: In fog, you see a vessel ahead on radar. You should:
A. turn early to avoid a close quarters
B. sound the danger signal
C. stop or reverse engines
D. slow to steerageway until you see it, then sound action signals
3. INTERNATIONAL RULES: An anchored vessel of how many meters must use deck illumination?
A. 50 meters
B. 100 meters
C. 200 meters
D. none of the above
4. Which light characteristic can be used on a special purpose mark?
A. group flashing (3)
C. equal interval
D. quick flashing
5. What factor contributes most to the prevention of fire aboard a vessel?
A. type and quality of boat construction
B. cleanliness and ventilation of compartments
C. location and amount of firefighting equipment
D. training and ability of the crew
1.B, Rule 27 2.A, Rule 19(d) 3.B, Rule 30© 4.A 5.B
This article originally appeared in the June 2012 issue.