St. Simons Island Light
Posted on 29 June 2012
Written by Rich Armstrong
This Georgia lighthouse was built in 1872 and marks the Atlantic inlet to the Intracoastal Waterway and the Brunswick River. The Coast Guard maintains the third-order Fresnel lens, visible from 18 miles offshore, as an active aid to navigation. The Coastal Georgia Historical Society owns the 104-foot masonry tower. A previous tower on the island was destroyed during the Civil War. The complex also includes a keeper’s house, oil building and Victorian gazebo.
This photo originally appeared in the July 2012 issue.