1. INTERNATIONAL RULES: Flying red over white lights would be proper when
A. laying nets
C. pulling dredge nets
2. INTERNATIONAL RULES: when approaching a vessel from astern, at how far abaft the beam would it become an overtaking situation:
3. INTERNATIONAL RULES: A 40-meter towboat towing less than 150 meters astern would show how many lights from the masthead?
4. The term “spring tides” means tides that:
A. have lower lows and higher highs than normal
B. have higher lows and lower highs than normal
C. are unpredictable
D. occur in the spring
5. Which of the following types of fire extinguisher is not normally recharged aboard a boat?
A. 2.5-gallon foam
B. 2.5-pound dry chemical
C. 4-pound carbon dioxide
D. soda acid
ANSWERS: 1. A, Rule 26, 2. C, Rule 13, 3. B, Rule 24, 4. A, 5. C
This article originally appeared in the September 2018 issue.