Test your knowledge with these Coast Guard license exam prep questions from the National Captain’s Institute captains.com
1. INTERNATIONAL RULES: On a vessel of 30 meters, what is the minimum required visibility distance in miles of the masthead light?
A. 2 miles
B. 3 miles
C. 4 miles
D. 5 miles
2. INTERNATIONAL RULES: A vessel underway at night and displaying a green light above a white light would be:
B. mine clearing
C. under sail
D. a pilot boat
3. INTERNATIONAL RULES: A vessel wishing to overtake another vessel on her starboard side in a narrow channel would sound which signal?
A. 1 prolonged, 1 short, 1 prolonged, 1 short
B. 2 prolonged and two short
C. 2 prolonged and 1 short
D. no signal required unless changing course
4. The four standard light colors used for lighted aids to navigation are red, green, white and:
5. What kind of front has been pushed up and away from the Earth’s surface?
D. none of the above
ANSWERS: 1. D, Rule 22 2. A, Rule 26 3. C, Rule 34(c) 4. D 5. A