The center console has always been about fishing, but the mission and purpose of these boats has expanded — so much so that they’re considered one of today’s most versatile vessels.
Amenities such as berths, galleys and on-deck seating along with propulsion improvements have made the center console more attractive to more people.
Here’s a look at some features you wouldn’t have found on a center console just 10 or 15 years ago.
1. full head compartment (with electric MSD),
galley, berths, air conditioning, television
3. extended hardtop with outriggers
4. triple- and quadruple-outboard configurations as high as 1,400 hp
5. power-assist steering
6. digital fly-by-wire controls and gauges
7. forward and aft seating, including sunpads
8. power-actuated doors, hatch lids, helm seats
9. autopilot, radar and big-screen displays
10. bow thrusters
11. hull-side dive/boarding doors
12. freshwater washdown/shower
See related articles:
This article originally appeared in the October 2009 issue.