Vero Beach City Marina is located on Bethel Creek, northeast of the Merrill Barber high-rise bridge, just south of Intracoastal Waterway flashing daybeacon 139 (near Mile 952). Boaters arriving from offshore often reach the ICW through Fort Pierce Inlet, 15 or so miles south. You can call customs from the marina, if necessary.
A short, marked channel leads from the ICW to the marina and through the mooring field. There is no anchoring in Vero Beach; the former anchorage is now the marina’s mooring field. NOAA chart 11472 (Intracoastal Waterway — Palm Shores to West Palm Beach, Loxahatchee River) includes Vero Beach and Fort Pierce Inlet.
Where to stay
- Vero Beach City Marina — VHF channel 16, (772) 231-2819, www.covb.org — charges $1.49 per foot per night for dockage (plus 7 percent tax, electricity extra). Moorings are $12.12 per night (plus tax). The designated Clean Marina has fuel, pumpout, Wi-Fi, showers, laundry, lounge, mail pickup, picnic shelters and free bus transportation. Repairs can be arranged, and reservations are recommended.
- Vero Beach Yacht Club — (772) 231-2211, www.verobeachyachtclub.com — between Vero Beach City Marina’s south and north docks, may have dockage for members of clubs belonging to the Florida Council Of Yacht Clubs.
- Indian River County Chamber of Commerce, (772) 567-3491, www.indianriverchamber.com
- City of Vero Beach, www.covb.org
- www.VisitFlorida.com (search “Vero Beach”)
- Wednesdays: Cruisers’ Breakfast. Boaters gather at a local restaurant, (772) 234-7367.
- October-March: Performing arts productions in music, dance and drama, plus fine art shows, (772) 770-4857. www.cultural-council.org
- Second Saturday of each month: Free concert on the beach, Ocean Drive, (772) 231-0008. www.verobeach.com/OBA
- Early March: Under the Oaks Art Show, a nationally recognized three-day exhibition and sale of juried works in Riverside Park, (772) 231-0303.
- Late March: Antique, Classic and Collector Car Show at Riverside Park.
This article originally appeared in the February 2009 issue.