It’s that time of year again. If you love giving gifts but hate the pressure of finding just the right ones for your crew and dockmates, we’re here to help. Take a look at the goodies we found — they’re not all nautical, but if you can’t find a perfect present here, you need saltier friends.
If you’re lucky enough to have a few of these folks on your shopping list, your work is easy. Whether you know a racer or a loafer, it’s all about a good time on the water and babying the ride. You won’t go wrong with any of these gifts.
1. ihome iBT9 Waterproof Radio, $100, ihomeaudio.com 2. Wyoming Whiskey Small Batch Bourbon, $40, wyomingwhiskey.com 3. The Sea Chart, $40, bloomsbury.com/us 4. Aqua link PLB, $330, acratex.com 5. Dubarry Easkey Sailing Shoe, $150, dubarry.us 6. Weems & Plath Atlantis Chrome Clock, $405, weems-plath.com 7. Weems & Path Atlantis Chrome Barometer, $449, weems-plath.com 8. Weego 44 Jump Starter, $150, myweego.com 9. Rinse Kit, $90, rinsekit.com 10. Weems & Plath 6-inch Chrome Bell, $136, weems-plath.com 11. Milestone Tote Bag, $120, nantucketbagg.com
Perhaps you know this person: He or she can tie a bowline on a bight while sound asleep, read signal flags at a glance, recite choice lines from Conrad by heart and while away many a winter evening recounting nautical adventures. The Commodore’s best asset is a deep knowledge of seafaring lore and tradition, so any gift that speaks of fun afloat is likely to bring a smile to this face.
1. Canvas Chart Art Print, $400, waterproofcharts.com 2. Lighthouses of the World, $30, bloomsbury.com/us 3. Gill Team Softshell Jacket, $150, gillna.com 4. Splitrock Organic Bourbon, $53, splitrockdistilling.com 5. Weems & Plath Brass Lamp Gimbal, $125, weems-plath.com 6. Elegant Navigation Set, $198, weems-plath.com 7. Weems & Plath Brass Weather Predicting Stormglass and Plaque Set, $219, weems-plath.com 8. Weems & Plath Brass Yacht Lamp, $197, weems-plath.com 9. Weems & Plath 6-inch Brass Bell, $125, weems-plath.com
We all know one of these — heck, we are one of these! Got a friend who’s always planning the next weekend getaway? Someone who sees the week as pretty much one big obstacle between himself and casting off again? Good news: This one’s a cinch to buy for, and picking the right gift won’t hurt your chances of being invited along for the fun.
- Garmin GNX Wind Marine Instrument, $500, garmin.com 2. Weems & Plath LIGHTrule Color Regulations, $33, weems-plath.com 3. XX2i Hawaii 1 Matte White Sunglasses with Polar Grey Lenses, $125, xx2i.com 4. Instant Weather Forecasting, Fifth Edition, $13, bloomsbury.com/us 5. Chelsea Clock Voyager Clock and Barometer Set, Mahogany-mounted, $580, chelseaclock.com 6. Splitrock Organic Blueberry Vodka, $33, splitrockdistilling.com 7. Smathers & Branson Blue Crab Belt, $165, smathersandbranson.com 8. Weems & Plath SOS Distress Light, $100, weems-plath.com 9. Magma Marine Kettle 3 Gas Grill, $320, magmaproducts.com 10. Mystic Knotwork Square Door Mat, $125, mysticknotwork.com
Voyagers are less common but are among the easiest of mariners to please. Anything that comes in handy on an epic trip gets extra credit, but Voyagers also spend a lot of time planning trips in the study, and experimenting with equipment and techniques on their boats. Remind them of what’s ahead, and it’s sure to be a great gift. Find something that qualifies as a cool gadget for the next offshore passage, and you might get a souvenir when they return.
- Usquaebach Blended Malt Scotch Whisky, $88, usquaebach.com 2. Mid-duty Polyester 30 Pocket Tote, $58, nantucketbagg.com 3. Gill Sienna Sunglasses, $90, gillna.com 4. Weems & Plath Professional Brass Pencil Compass, $73, weems-plath.com 5. Weems & Plath Crystal Magnifier, $40, weems-plath.com 6. 1920 Beetle Cat Half Hull, $240, abordage.com 7. Weems & Plath Chrome Endurance Quartz Barometer 125, $180, weems-plath.com 8. Spot Gen 3, $170, findmespot.com 9. Weems & Plath Pro Binocular 7x50, $550, weems-plath.com 10. Weems & Plath Chrome Endurance Quartz Clock 125, $180, weems-plath.com 11. A History of Sailing in 100 Objects, $35, bloomsbury.com/us 12. Dubarry Ultima Sailing Boot, $400, dubarry.us 13. Waterproof Chart, $27, water proofcharts.com
Even if you don’t share his or her enthusiasm, chances are you know one — always hiding a love of boating behind talk of hot spots and bait and canyons and rips! But seldom do we see real Sportsmen come home empty-handed and scowling. Seems as if they’re having a good time out there, no matter the bite.
- Pelican 5-Quart Wheeled Cooler, $380, pelican.com 2. Chelsea Clock Patriot Deck Barometer, $275, chelseaclock.com 3. Chelsea Clock Patriot Deck Clock, $215, chelseaclock.com 4. 1962 Riva Aquarama Special Half-Hull, $395, abordage.com 5. Garmin VHF 200 Marine Radio, $400, garmin.com 6. Smathers & Branson Nautical Alphabet Needlepoint Flip Flops, $89.50, smathers andbranson.com 7. Smathers & Branson Wooden Boat Belt, $165, smathersand branson.com 8. Weems & Plath Explorer Binoculars 7x50, $300, weems-plath.com 9. Splitrock Organic Horseradish Vodka, $33, splitrockdistilling.com 10. Tourneau Trainmaster Cannonball Watch, $3,900, ballwatch.com 11. Des Pawson’s Knot Craft and Rope Mats, $25, bloomsbury.com/us 12. GoPro Session, $200, gopro.com 13. DuBarry Rugby Flask, $70, dubarry.us
This article originally appeared in the December 2016 issue.