Skip to main content

Boating mishaps keep rescuers busy

Several recent incidents on the water had rescuers doing what they do best and getting pleasure boaters out of a jam.

Six men survived after their boat capsized off the coast of South Carolina, leaving them to tread water for 90 minutes.

The buddies went out fishing near Murrells Inlet in South Carolina. They had bagged a few fish before the waves started growing.

“We [were going to] take a little fishing excursion and we was actually planning on going out about 20 miles. I’m glad we didn’t,” said the skipper.

The men were about three miles off the coast when a pump on their 32 foot boat failed. The boat began to fill with water.

“It got real deep then and that’s when I [said], ‘We’re going to have to call somebody, we need help out here,” he told MyFox8 News.

On the West Coast, rescuers were able to get two people and two dogs safely off a boat after a small fire caused it to take on water near the entrance of the Los Angeles harbor off the coast of San Pedro, authorities said.

The 30-foot boat was taking on water, and LAFD crews working to dewater it, according to a spokesman for the Coast Guard, which also responded to the incident.

The uninjured occupants, who were all wearing life vests, were taken to shore by Los Angeles County Baywatch, according to KTLA News.

In Florida, the Coast Guard is saying a man who was ejected from his boat is alive because he was wearing a life jacket.

While the Coast Guard searched for Peter Whiting, he swam seven miles to shore and arrived at the Sanibel Inn shortly after 4 a.m. The Coast Guard began their search at around 10:30 p.m., USCG Petty Officer Crystalynn Kneen said.

“Because he had his jacket on, he lived,” Kneen said.

Whiting who lives on a private island near the Port Sanibel Marina commandeered his Boston Whaler boat from his home at about 5:30 p.m., according to a Sanibel Police report. He told rescue workers he was ejected from his boat around 7:30 p.m. It wasn’t until nine hours later that he made it to shore.

The boat came ashore at the east end of the island at the Lighthouse Beach

A National Weather Service meteorologist said Tuesday night’s ocean temperature was about 87 degrees.

“Anytime you’re in the water for that long you can have issues with hypothermia, but when the water is that warm, it could take longer,” meteorologist Andrew McKaughan told The News-Press.