Skip to main content

CG response LIS Feb 07

Recent responses from New York and the Eastern Seaboard

Recent responses from New York and the Eastern Seaboard

Capsize, five in water

Station New York, N.Y.

The Coast Guard and New York City Police Department responded to a report of five people in the water near 73rd St. in the Hudson River. A witness on shore called the Coast Guard by cellphone when he saw the victims’ boat capsize. Coast Guard Station New York and the NYPD immediately dispatched rescue crews. Four of the victims made it to shore on their own. The fifth victim managed to hold onto the capsized boat and was rescued by an NYPD diver. The Coast Guard urges all boaters to wear a life jacket and to take a free boating safety class offered by the Coast Guard Auxiliary. (Nov. 4)

Rescuer needs rescuing

Air Station Cape Cod, Mass.

A rescue crew from Coast Guard Air Station Cape Cod rescued three people stranded on an island in the Eight Mile River in Lyme, Conn. A 32-year-old woman and 35-year-old man were kayaking on the tributary of the Connecticut River when their kayak capsized and they swam to the nearby island. The third stranded person was a Lyme fireman who was unable to return to shore after an unsuccessful rescue attempt. The Coast Guard was notified of the situation. After contacting the Lyme Fire Department chief on scene, it was determined that rescue boats would not be able to reach the victims and a rescue helicopter was launched from Cape Cod. The helicopter arrived and brought the victims to emergency medical personnel waiting nearby on the banks of the river. The victims, who were wearing life jackets at the time of the accident, were in stable condition and taken to Lawrence and Memorial Hospital in Lyme where they were treated for mild hypothermia. (Nov. 24)

Sailboat aground

Air Station Atlantic City, N.J.

A man was rescued from his sailboat by the Coast Guard after running his boat aground. The 20-year-old man was attempting to navigate his 27-foot sailboat from Gloucester, Mass., to a destination in Florida when he ran hard aground in Hereford Inlet just north of Wildwood, N.J. Waves began pounding the boat, pushing it farther into the marsh. The man radioed the Coast Guard with a marine band radio requesting to be taken off the sailboat. A Coast Guard small boat from Station Cape May, N.J., arrived on the scene but could not reach the man due to the shallow waters. An air crew from Coast Guard Air Station Atlantic City was conducting training in the area and diverted to the scene. Upon arrival, the air crew lowered a rescue swimmer into the water. The rescue swimmer was able to place the man into a basket whereupon he was hoisted to safety aboard the helicopter. He was flown to Coast Guard Training Center Cape May where he was met by local EMS. Following an examination by EMS, the young man was released. (Nov. 1)

Caught in weather

Air Facility Charleston, S.C.

The Coast Guard rescued two people on their sailboat approximately 28 miles southeast of Charleston after setting off their EPIRB because of the rough weather. The 58-year-old man and 47-year-old woman were on a 39-foot sailboat traveling from Wilmington, N.C., to Charleston when they got caught in rough weather and started suffering from seasickness and exhaustion. Upon receiving the distress call from the boat’s EPIRB, Coast Guard Sector Charleston search and rescue coordinators requested assistance from Coast Guard Air Facility Charleston to investigate the distress signal. Upon arrival, the aircrew hoisted the pair into the helicopter and transported them back to the air facility. The owner of the sailboat is coordinating with commercial salvage to recover the boat. The sea conditions were 30-knot winds with sea swells at about 11 feet. (Nov. 3)

18 hours in the water

Station Marathon, Fla.

The Coast Guard rescued a boardsailor one mile off Big Pine Key, Fla. The 55-year-old man was reported overdue to the Coast Guard by his wife. Upon receiving the report the Coast Guard immediately launched an HH-65 Dolphin helicopter from Air Station Miami and a 25-foot rescue boat from Station Marathon, Fla. Coast Guard rescue crews searched until the case was suspended until daylight. At first light the search resumed with another HH-65 Dolphin helicopter from Air Station Miami and a Coast Guard 33-foot rescue boat from Station Marathon. The Dolphin helicopter located the man and directed the rescue boat to his location. He was found holding onto a crab pot. According to the man he had grabbed and held onto the crab pot throughout the night so he would stop drifting. Within minutes the Coast Guard took the cold and tired man to the Big Pine Fishing Lodge and transferred him to local EMS. The Monroe County Sheriff’s Office marine unit also assisted with the search. (Oct. 25)

Clinging to a buoy

Station Pensacola, Fla.

The Coast Guard rescued two missing boaters in Pensacola Bay, Fla., after the boaters were reported overdue by a family member. Coast Guard Station Pensacola launched a 41-foot smallboat crew and Coast Guard Air Station New Orleans launched an HH-65C rescue helicopter crew. Air Station New Orleans located the two missing boaters on a mooring buoy two miles south of the I-10 bridge in Pensacola Bay. Station Pensacola arrived on scene, picked up both men and transferred them to the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission personnel. The boaters indicated they struck a mooring buoy, which tossed them from their boat. (Nov. 9)

Three hoisted off sailboat

Air Station Elizabeth City, N.C.

A Coast Guard HH-60 Jayhawk rescue helicopter crew from Air Station Elizabeth City, N.C., hoisted three men to safety 150 miles off the coast of Cape Hatteras, N.C. The men were aboard a 45-foot two-masted sailboat when they were beset by heavy seas. They notified the Coast Guard requesting assistance. In addition, a Coast Guard C-130 provided air cover during the rescue. The three were to be evaluated by Air Station Elizabeth City medical personnel upon arrival. (Nov. 7)