Skip to main content

CG Responses MA Dec 06

Recent responses from around the region

Recent responses from around the region

Charter captains arrested

Sector Hampton Roads, Va.

The Coast Guard issued citations to two catfish charter fishing captains for illegal chartering operations on the James River in the Richmond/Hopewell area. Catfishing has become very popular in the area in recent years. Guides often schedule up to three charters per week. It is not uncommon for these fishing guides to charge up to $300 for a two-person party. While several of the guides operating in the area are licensed, several others are running illegal, unlicensed charters. These charters create a public safety concern because they are routinely conducted at night and these boaters lack the formal navigation and boating safety training required by law. Within the last 12 months, there have been five boating-related deaths on the James River. Licensed captains have completed a rigorous testing process which ensures they have the prerequisite knowledge to safely carry passengers for hire. (Aug. 31)

Adrift and crewless

Station Curtis Bay, Va.

The Coast Guard, Baltimore City Marine Police, and the Maryland Natural Resources Police were searching the waters of the Patpasco River in the vicinity of the Ferry Bar Channel for signs of a person in the water, after a 30-foot boat was found floating adrift with no one aboard. A tug boat initially spotted the boat and notified the Coast Guard. An initial search of the adrift boat was conducted and Coast Guard personnel found personal items and fresh paint on the boat’s windows. In addition, a small diesel fuel leak was evident. A 41-foot utility boat from Coast Guard Station Curtis Bay towed the derelict boat to the Fairfield Auto Terminal to free any potential hazard to navigation. The search was a precautionary measure, and local authorities were attempting to contact the last known owner. (Sept. 7)

Sinking in inlet

Station Fort Macon, N.C.

Coast Guard Station Fort Macon rescued three people from a sinking boat in Beaufort Inlet. The Coast Guard was notified from a boat owner claiming her boat was taking on water. A 47-foot motor lifeboat from Station Fort Macon was in the area conducting a routine law enforcement boarding, and quickly responded to the call. When the crew arrived, the boat was partially submerged with three people in the water. All three were rescued and taken to shore aboard the Coast Guard rescue boat. No medical injuries were sustained. A local tow company was scheduled to tow the vessel to shore, removing any possible hazard to navigation. (Sept. 8)

Fatal boat fire

Stations Annapolis and Curtis Bay, Md.

One person was killed after a fire occurred during a refueling attempt involving a small outboard dingy connected to a 38-foot sailboat in the Chesapeake Bay. The Coast Guard was notified of a boat fire aboard the sailboat’s dingy, and two confirmed people in the water. Coast Guard crews from Stations Annapolis, and Curtis Bay were dispatched. Upon arriving to the scene, crews confirmed a fire onboard the dingy, and one person still aboard the sailboat. The fire was extinguished. Both people in the water were rescued by a nearby good Samaritan, and taken to Chester Hospital, where one was later pronounced dead. (Sept. 9)

Thrown from vessel

Station Milford Haven, Va.

The Coast Guard called off its search for a boater who was thrown from his vessel after it collided with a pier in Yorktown. Coast Guard crews on board Coast Guard Cutter Sturgeon Bay, search and rescue boats from Training Center Yorktown and Station Milford Haven, and an HH-60 Jayhawk helicopter from Air Station Elizabeth City, N.C., were joined in the search by the Virginia Marine Police, the Virginia Marine Resource Commission, the Hampton Fire Department, and divers from Naval Weapons Station Yorktown. (Sept. 13)

Clinging to life jackets

Station Small Great Egg, N.J.

A Coast Guard boat crew rescued a couple after their pleasure boat capsized and sank in Great Egg Harbor Inlet. Rescued were a 52-year-old woman and a 47-year-old man. A nearby mariner contacted response agencies over marine radio that the couple’s boat sank in the inlet and that two boaters were in the water. After hearing the transmission, a rescue boat crew from Coast Guard Station Small Great Egg launched to respond. The boat crew was on scene moments later and found the two clinging to life jackets next to their capsized boat about 100 yards off the inlet’s north point jetty. The crew transported both to Station Small Great Egg and transferred them to awaiting EMS in good condition. The boat has been towed by a commercial salvor to Somers Point. (Sept. 17)

PWC riders in distress

Air Station Atlantic City, N.J.

A Coast Guard helicopter crew airlifted a young man from his disabled personal watercraft off the coast of Ocean City, N.J. Search and rescue coordinators at Coast Guard Sector Field Office Atlantic City were notified that two PWC riders were stranded aboard their disabled PWC about three miles south of Great Egg Inlet. A Coast Guard rescue helicopter crew from Air Station Atlantic City and a rescue boat crew from Station Atlantic City were launched to respond. Once on scene, the helicopter crew airlifted the operator of the disabled rider and transported him to Ocean City Municipal Airport. The other rider, nearly out of gas, was escorted in safely. The Station Atlantic City boat crew towed the disabled PWC to the station and turned it over to its owner so that it did not pose a hazard to navigation. (Sept. 2)