Skip to main content

CG Responses Mid-Atl. Feb 07

Recent responses from New Jersey to South Carolina

Recent responses from New Jersey to South Carolina

Rescued from burning boat

Air Facility Charleston, S.C.

Three people were rescued about one mile east of Kiawah Beach, S.C., after their fishing trawler caught fire, forcing them to abandon ship. Fire engulfed the pilothouse on the 69-foot trawler. The men radioed Coast Guard rescue coordinators at Sector Charleston and abandoned ship into a life raft. The Coast Guard launched a boat crew from Station Charleston, an air crew from Air Facility Charleston and Cutter Yellow Fin to assist the three men. The Coast Guard air crew arrived and lowered their hoist basket to the men in the life raft. The aircrew was able to hoist one of the men but could not get the other two in the basket. The air crew pulled back and let a nearby fishing boat pick up the remaining two. The three were transported to safety and all were in good condition. Their fishing boat sank shortly after the rescue, but Coast Guard rescue coordinators have transmitted an information broadcast asking mariners to use caution when traveling through the area of Kiawah Beach. (Oct. 28)

Caught in weather

Air Facility Charleston, S.C.

The Coast Guard rescued two people on their sailboat approximately 28 miles southeast of Charleston after setting off their emergency positioning indicating radio beacon because of the rough weather. The 58-year-old man and 47-year-old woman were on a 39-foot sailboat traveling from Wilmington, N.C., to Charleston when they got caught in rough weather and started suffering from seasickness and exhaustion. Upon receiving the distress call from the boat’s EPIRB, Coast Guard Sector Charleston search and rescue coordinators requested assistance from Coast Guard Air Facility Charleston to investigate the distress signal. Upon arrival, the air crew hoisted the pair into the helicopter and transported them back to the air facility. The owner of the sailboat is coordinating with commercial salvage to recover the boat. The sea conditions were 30-knot winds with sea swells at about 11 feet. (Nov. 3)

Two aboard sinking vessel

Station Charleston, S.C.

Coast Guard search and rescue crews assisted two men aboard a 60-foot fishing boat that was taking on water eight miles off the coast of Charleston. The two men, ages 36 and 33, departed from Beaufort, S.C., on a course for Wanchese, N.C., when they began taking on water. The two men radioed for help over VHF channel 16 indicating that they were taking on water and needed assistance. Upon notification, a Coast Guard Station Charleston 47-foot motor lifeboat, an HH-65 Dolphin helicopter from Air Facility Charleston and local commercial salvage all launched to assist the vessel. When rescue crews arrived, the boat was almost completely submerged. Rescue crews quickly transferred de-watering pumps to get the water out of the boat and transferred the two men onto a Coast Guard boat. The two men were taken to Coast Guard Station Charleston. Commercial salvage was coordinating the salvage of the vessel. The two men reported that they were experiencing 8-foot seas and 20-knot winds when they radioed for assistance. (Nov. 7)

Sailboat aground

Air Station Atlantic City, N.J.

A man was rescued from his sailboat by the Coast Guard after running his boat aground. The 20-year-old man was attempting to navigate his 27-foot sailboat from Gloucester, Mass., to a destination in Florida when he ran hard aground in Hereford Inlet just north of Wildwood, N.J. Waves began pounding the boat, pushing it farther into the marsh. The man radioed the Coast Guard with a marine band radio requesting to be taken off the sailboat. A Coast Guard small boat from Station Cape May, N.J., arrived on the scene but could not reach the man due to the shallow waters. An air crew from Coast Guard Air Station Atlantic City was conducting training in the area and diverted to the scene. Upon arrival, the air crew lowered a rescue swimmer into the water. The rescue swimmer was able to place the man into a basket whereupon he was hoisted to safety aboard the helicopter. He was flown to Coast Guard Training Center Cape May where he was met by local EMS. Following an examination by EMS, the young man was released. (Nov. 1)

Offshore medevacs

Air Station Elizabeth City, N.C.

A Coast Guard HH-60 Jayhawk rescue helicopter crew from Air Station Elizabeth City, N.C., hoisted a 65-year-old man suffering from abdominal pain from a 47-foot sailboat about 200 miles off the coast of Cape Hatteras, N.C. The crew will transfer the man to Ablemarle General Hospital in Elizabeth City where he will receive medical treatment upon arrival. In addition, a Coast Guard C-130 provided air cover during the rescue. (Nov. 10)

Cold on a disabled boat

Station Cape Charles, Va.

A Coast Guard helicopter hoisted two men to safety after their boat became disabled off Oyster, Va. Coast Guard controllers at Station Cape Charles received a cell phone call from the men reporting that their 16-foot boat was disabled and they were getting very cold. At that point, the Coast Guard lost communication with the men, and attempts to call them back failed. Search and rescue controllers tracked the cell phone call to within two miles of the Cheriton tower, and a helicopter from Air Station Elizabeth City launched. The helicopter crew located the two men in their boat. A rescue swimmer was lowered, and both men were hoisted into the helicopter. They were taken to Oyster Boat Ramp where Coast Guard Station Cape Charles emergency medics determined they were healthy. The Coast Guard urges all boaters to keep a VHF marine radio onboard because cellphone coverage on the water can be spotty and unreliable. (Oct. 29)

Three hoisted off sailboat

Air Station Elizabeth City, N.C.

A Coast Guard HH-60 Jayhawk rescue helicopter crew from Air Station Elizabeth City, N.C., hoisted three men to safety 150 miles off the coast of Cape Hatteras, N.C. The men were aboard a 45-foot two-masted sailboat when they were beset by heavy seas. They notified the Coast Guard requesting assistance. In addition, a Coast Guard C-130 provided air cover during the rescue. The three were to be evaluated by Air Station Elizabeth City medical personnel upon arrival. (Nov. 7)