Skip to main content

CG Responses Mid Atlantic March 2007

Recent responses from New Jersey to Virginia

Recent responses from New Jersey to Virginia

Barge strikes yacht

Quantico Wharf, Md.

A sportfishing yacht sank in the WicomicoRiver about five miles west of Salisbury, Md., after a diesel barge knocked a piling into it. The Coast Guard received a report from the master of a tug that his diesel barge had hit the piling about half a mile from the QuanticoWharf and struck the port bow of the 46-foot sportfisherman. No one was hurt, and the diesel barge did not rupture. About 2 gallons of the sportfisherman’s fuel leaked out. An absorbent boom was placed around the area. All but the flying bridge of the boat was under water. The Coast Guard was investigating the incident with the Maryland Department of the Environment and the Wicomico County Sheriff’s Office. (Dec. 6)

Rescuers field multiple calls

Various C.G. Stations, N.J.

Coast Guard units from New Jersey assisted multiple boaters in distress over a 12-hour period. At 10 p.m. the Coast Guard was notified of an overdue boat by a family member of a 44-year-old boater who reportedly left MinMar Marina in Sea Isle City, N.J., and had not returned on time. The man reportedly left the marina at 2 p.m. on a clamming trip in his 22-foot fishing boat. His wife had arranged to meet him back at the marina, but when he was late, she notified the Sea Isle Police Department and the Coast Guard. A rescue helicopter from Coast Guard Air Station Atlantic City was launched and found the man on board his boat in LudlamBay. His boat battery had died and he was unable to restart his engine. He was hoisted aboard the helicopter and taken back to the air station where he was met by his wife. At 4:30 a.m. of the following day, the crew of a 78-foot commercial fishing boat reported to the Coast Guard that their boat was disabled. A 47-foot boat from Coast Guard Station Manasquan Inlet, N.J., deployed to the scene and was able to take the fishing boat into tow back to the station. At 5:20 a.m., the Coast Guard received a report from the crew of a 37-foot sailboat that they were taking on water six miles off of Long Beach Island, N.J. Coast Guard Station Barnegat Light, N.J., a rescue helicopter from Coast Guard Air Station Atlantic City as well as a good Samaritan responded to the request for help. Dewatering pumps from both the rescue helicopter and Station Barnegat boat were given to the crew of the sailboat which was assisted by TowBoat U.S. and escorted by the crew from Station Barnegat Light. (Dec. 7)

Night aboard disabled boat

Air Station Atlantic City, N.J.

The Coast Guard rescued five hunters after they spent the night aboard their disabled boat in a New Jersey creek. The night before, a family member of one of the hunters reported to Coast Guard Station Cape May, N.J., that the five hadn’t returned from a duck hunting trip. The boat owner had reportedly left Jakes Landing in Dennis Creek near Wildwood, N.J., in a 16-foot duck boat around 5 a.m. and were expected to be back at 4:30 p.m. A rescue helicopter from Coast Guard Air Station Atlantic City was launched to search for the missing hunters. In the course of the search, a flare was launched by the missing hunters to alert the helicopter to their presence. All five men and one dog were hoisted aboard the helicopter and flown back to the air station where they were examined by local EMS and released to their families. (Dec. 8)

Three aboard sinking boat

Station Portsmouth, Va.

A Coast Guard crew rescued three men after their work boat began sinking in the ElizabethRiver. Coast Guard search and rescue coordinators received the report that the 20-foot push boat was sinking. A rescue crew from Station Portsmouth, aboard a 41-foot Coast Guard boat, rescued all three men in 4-to-6-foot seas and 30 knot winds. The three men had abandoned the sinking ship and sought refuge on the connected work barge. Hampton and Portsmouth fire boats also responded. The two barges being pushed by the boat were located by the Norfolk Police Department about 100 yards off the beach near Lambert’s Point Golf Course. The sunken push boat is believed to be still attached to them. The Army Corps of Engineers found that the wreck is stable, and did not pose a serious hazard to navigation. There were no signs of pollution, but the Coast Guard was monitoring the situation as salvage efforts were planned. The incident was being investigated by the Virginia Marine Resources Commission. (Dec. 8)