Coast Guard rescue crews responded to a distress call last Saturday from the charter vessel Dawg Daze, home-ported in Harpswell, Maine, after a butane stove exploded approximately 28 miles off the coast of Portland, Maine, at Jeffries Ledge.
One passenger was injured.
Watchstanders at Coast Guard Sector Northern New England received notification via VHF channel 16 at 9:52 a.m., that a passenger, a 35-year-old man, had sustained burns from the explosion and that the vessel was headed back to port.
Coast Guard Station South Portland launched a 47-foot motor life boat with three Portland firefighters on board to provide emergency medical services. The rescue boat met with the charter vessel approximately seven miles off the coast of Portland and transferred the passenger aboard.
The man was transported to Portland and taken to Maine Medical Center for treatment.
His condition was not reported.