Coast Guard Auxiliarist Ed Petrie knows a thing or two about Devotion to Duty and his dedication earned him the Coast Guard Auxiliary Sustained Service Award for spending more than 25,000 hours volunteering.
Petrie began his service to the Coast Guard as an active duty member in 1958. He served at Coast Guard Station Saint George, N.Y., Hereford Inlet Lifeboat Station, North Wildwood, N.J., and aboard the Five Fathom Lightship off Cape May, N.J. before leaving active duty as a Boatswain’s Mate Third Class in 1962.
Since 1994, Petrie has been active in the auxiliary, serving the 1st Auxiliary District-He has amassed more than 25,000 hours of service by consistently volunteering two days a week, dividing his time between Sector Long Island Sound in New Haven, Conn., where he coordinates all Auxiliary support within the sector, and the director of the auxiliary office in New York where he oversees the mail distribution and communications between the 17 divisions and 106 flotillas in the region.
Additionally, Petrie serves as an assistant lighthouse keeper at Boston Lighthouse for one month each year, where he services the grounds and maintains the facility.