Skip to main content

Coast Guard report - Long Island Sound

Good Samaritan assists rowers

Station New York

A good Samaritan assisted two boaters, an adult and a child, who were having difficulty rowing their raft ashore in Jamaica Bay, Queens. Citywide 911 operators notified the Coast Guard after a beachgoer spotted them having difficulty. The Coast Guard immediately launched a rescue boat from Station New York and broadcast an urgent marine information broadcast by marine band radio. A good Samaritan responded to the broadcast and within minutes pulled the two rafters safely to shore where New York City Police Department officers from the 100th Precinct met them to verify their safe arrival. (June 15)

Vessel taking on water

Station Cape May, N.J.

A Coast Guard cutter responded to a 27-foot sportfishing boat taking on water off the coast of New Jersey. The crew of the sportfisherman radioed the Coast Guard and reported that their boat was experiencing a shaft leak 27 miles off the coast of Atlantic City, N.J. Cutter Finback responded to the crew’s request for help. Water removal pumps on board the sportfisherman were able to keep up with the water coming in while Finback escorted them back to Great Egg Harbor. (June 12)

Charter takes on water

Air Station Cape Cod, Mass.

Two sailors, ages 81 and 79, were brought safely into port after Station Chatham, Mass., received a distress call from an 81-year-old woman who reported that her chartered 34-foot sailboat was taking on water. The woman was unsure of her location and only knew that she and her husband had left Nantucket and were heading west. Her 79-year-old husband was unable to assist due to extreme seasickness. Coast Guard Sector Southeastern New England took over radio communications, and through further investigation found that the sailboat was in the vicinity of Edgartown Harbor in Martha’s Vineyard. After continuing to take on heavy amounts of water in the choppy 4- to 8-foot seas, the woman called out mayday over the radio and halted further communications with the Coast Guard. Immediately, Air Station Cape Cod dispatched an HH-60 Jayhawk helicopter to search for the sailboat. An Urgent Marine Information Broadcast was also issued to advise other boats in the area of the situation. NOAA research vessel Albatross responded to the broadcast and found the sailboat about three miles north of Edgartown Harbor. Albatross could not get close enough to render assistance; however they did give a detailed location of the sailboat to the Coast Guard helicopter. When the Coast Guard helicopter arrived on scene it was found that the distressed sailors did not need a rescue hoist from their sailboat. Rather, the Oaks Bluffs Fire Department sent a boat and escorted the sailboat to safety. The two people on board were safe and did not receive any severe injuries. (June 7)

Capsize offshore

Air Station Atlantic City, N.J.

Three men, ages 45 to 49, were rescued after their boat capsized five miles off the coast of Barnegat Light, N.J. The Coast Guard received a distress call stating only “mayday” from the crew of the 24-foot pleasure boat. The call for help was picked up by the Coast Guard’s Rescue-21 system, which positioned the call as originating from a location five miles off the coast of Barnegat Light in the Atlantic Ocean. A 47-foot boat from Station Barnegat and a rescue helicopter from Air Station Atlantic City were deployed to the scene. After searching the area pinpointed by the Rescue-21 system, the three men were spotted by the crew of the rescue helicopter sitting on the keel of their overturned boat. Two of the three men were wearing life jackets. A rescue swimmer was placed in the water to help the three men, one at a time, into the basket so they could be hoisted to safety. All three men were brought back to Air Station Atlantic City where they were met by local EMS and taken to Atlantic City Mainland Hospital in Galloway, N.J., and treated for mild hypothermia. The three men were in the 64-degree water for about two hours. (June 10)