Skip to main content

Coast Guard Response Report

Recent responses from around the nation

Recent responses from around the nation

Good Samaritans help

Air Station Atlantic City, N.J.

A fishing boat that was thought to have been lost at sea was located with the help of good Samaritan boats and the Coast Guard. The 38-foot sportfishing boat that left Bergan Point, N.Y., was thought to be missing after its emergency position indicating radio beacon was activated. Coast Guard Cutter Dependable, a 47-foot patrol boat from Fire Island, and a rescue helicopter from Air Station Atlantic City were diverted to the scene. Group Atlantic City and Group Moriches put out an urgent marine information broadcast for boaters to be on the lookout for the boat. The helicopter was the first to arrive on scene where the pilots noticed a strobe light in the water. The aircrew began to scan the water for any clues as to what may have happened. An hour after the search began, a radio call from another fishing boat and a sailboat radioed the Coast Guard stating they had located the sportfisher. The boat had been disabled due to engine problems. The 47-foot patrol boat took the boat into a stern tow and brought it to Robert Moses Boat Basin in New York. (Oct. 14)

Capsize in the surf

Station Point Allerton, Mass.

A Coast Guard boat and helicopter crew responded to a report of a boat capsized in the surf off New Inlet in Scituate, Mass. A person on the beach saw the boat capsize and called the Coast Guard. Station Point Allerton sent a rescue boat and Air Station Cape Cod sent a helicopter to assist. The Scituate Fire department and harbormaster also responded. Shallow water around the boat prevented rescuers from reaching the people from the water. The two people eventually made it safely ashore and the Scituate Fire Department reported they were not injured. (Oct. 2)

Sailors vs. hurricane

Station Fort Myers Beach, Fla.

Two boaters on board their 37-foot sailboat requested the assistance of the Coast Guard as they were unable to continue to battle the high winds and seas of Hurricane Jeanne. The master of the sailboat contacted the Coast Guard, saying they were having difficulty steering. The Coast Guard remained in contact with the sailboat throughout the early morning hours, monitoring the situation. As the sailboat approached the entrance to San Carlos Bay, the heavy winds actually began pulling it backward. A Station Fort Myers Beach 47-foot rescue boat was dispatched to the scene of the sailboat to render assistance. However, due to the high winds and heavy seas, the Coast Guard crew was unable to take the sailboat in tow or remove the two sailors from their boat. Weather conditions on scene consisted of 45- to 50-knot winds and 8- to 10-foot seas. Unable to remove the sailors from the sailboat, the Coast Guard crew returned to base. Another crew from Station Fort Myers Beach returned to the location of the sailboat and made another attempt to take the vessel in tow or remove the sailors. The boat crew was able to remove the sailors from their boat. They were reportedly suffering from seasickness but otherwise not in need of any immediate medical assistance. The Coast Guard rescue boat was en route to Station Fort Myers Beach. (Sept. 26)

Pleasure boat taking on water

Air Station Elizabeth City, N.C.

Six people were assisted by the Coast Guard after their 23-foot Bayliner started taking on water about 20 miles off Virginia Beach. After Coast Guard search and rescue coordinators requested assistance from any vessels near the distressed boaters, a foreign-flagged, 300-meter bulk carrier dispatched its small boat to the scene to evacuate the boaters if necessary. Less than an hour after the mayday call, a Coast Guard rescue helicopter from Air Station Elizabeth City, N.C., arrived at the scene and lowered a dewatering pump to the sinking boat. A 47-foot rescue boat from Station Little Creek, Va., approached as the bayliner pumped out enough water to begin making its way toward shore. The rescue boat and the Virginia Marine Police escorted the bayliner to Rudee Inlet. The six people on board the bayliner reported no injuries, and were all wearing life jackets. (Oct. 2)

Capsize, no PFDs

Station Venice, La.

The Coast Guard rescued three recreational fishermen after the boat they were on capsized about three miles west of the entrance to the Southwest Pass. The Coast Guard received a cell phone call from one of the boaters reporting that their 17-foot boat had taken on water and capsized. The Coast Guard launched an HH-65 rescue helicopter crew from Air Station New Orleans and two 25-foot rescue boat crews from Station Venice, La., to search for the men. The boaters used their cell phone to communicate with Coast Guard Group New Orleans who directed the rescue crews to their location. Good Samaritans from a supply vessel heard the urgent marine information broadcast, launched a lifeboat, recovered the men and transported them to Station Venice’s rescue boat crews. The three men were found sitting on top of their capsized, partially submerged boat and were not wearing life jackets. The Coast Guard rescue boat crews delivered the boaters, reported to be in good condition, to Station Venice. (Oct. 15)

Cat takes on water

Air Station Sitka, Alaska

Two men were rescued by the Coast Guard after their boat began taking on water near Taylor Bay. An HH-60 Jayhawk helicopter crew from Air Station Sitka rescued the boaters from a beach between Sugar Loaf Island and Hankinson Peninsula north of Cross Sound after they beached their boat. The Coast Guard received a distress call from the 60-foot catamaran. Both men had recently purchased the boat. They were attempting to sail it to King Cove when there was a hull breach and the catamaran began taking on water. The two men beached their vessel and rowed to shore at low tide. Once on the beach they activated their emergency position indicating radio beacon. The two men were sighted on the beach after they lit a handheld flare to signal the Jayhawk crew. They were taken back to Sitka by helicopter. Coast Guard Marine Safety Office Juneau was investigating this incident. (Oct. 9)