Skip to main content

Coast Guard response report

Three missing teens found safe

Station Charleston, S.C.

Three Charleston teenagers who had been reported missing late evening July 22 were found by Coast Guard search-and-rescue crews around 2 p.m. July 24. A Coast Guard HH-65 Dolphin helicopter spotted the 25-foot Bayliner with the three young men on board about 40 miles east of Hilton Head, S.C. All were in good condition. The teenagers managed to anchor their boat to help stay near their intended fishing spot after they suddenly lost all electrical power. The Coast Guard searched around 23,000 square miles for the missing teenagers in a round-the-clock effort. Coast Guard Station Charleston, Coast Guard Air Facility Charleston, Coast Guard Air Station Elizabeth City, N.C., Coast Guard Cutter Yellowfin, Coast Guard Cutter Tarpon, a Hercules C-130 fixed-wing aircraft from Coast Guard Air Station Clearwater, Fla., South Carolina Department of Natural Resources aircraft and boats and Charleston Police Department assets were all involved in the search. The 7th District Command Center in Miami conducted the search planning, and coordinated the efforts of responding assets. (July 25)

Taking on water

Cape May, N.J.

Coast Guard units were escorting a 33-foot fishing boat that was taking on water to safe mooring in Cape May, N.J. Sector Field Office Atlantic City received a radio call from the boat announcing “mayday, mayday,” and that they were taking on water about 75 miles southeast of Atlantic City with four people on board. A Coast Guard Falcon Jet from Air Station Cape Cod, Mass., preparing to land at Air Station Atlantic City immediately turned around and dropped a pump to the fishing boat. A good Samaritan picked up and brought the pump to the distressed crew. A rescue helicopter from Atlantic City also headed out to help, and stayed with the distressed boat until a water asset could arrive. In the meantime, Coast Guard Cutter Mako headed out to lend its assistance. Once they arrived, they deployed a rescue and assistance team to assess the situation on the fishing boat. The rescue team temporarily patched the boat’s 8-by-8-inch hole and began escorting the boat into Cape May. (Aug. 3)