Skip to main content

Coast Guard response report

Four pulled from the water

Station Point Allerton, Mass.

A crew aboard a 25-foot rescue boat from Coast Guard Station Point Allerton pulled four people out of the water in the West Gut in Hull Bay, after a ferry boat reportedly struck them while at anchor. All four people were taken by Station Point Allerton to Pemberton Pier where Emergency Medical Services took them to South Shore Hospital. Their conditions were unknown. The crew from Station Point Allerton was on scene securing a parameter around the area due to debris from the vessel. Local authorities including the local police department and Massachusetts Environmental Police were also on scene. The number of passengers aboard the ferry boat was unknown. A small amount of fuel was released into the water at the time of the incident. The cause of the incident was under investigation by the Coast Guard. (Aug. 13)

Boat crashes onto breakwall

Stations Ludington and Manistee, Mich.

Coast Guard Station Ludington and Coast Guard Station Manistee responded to a boat crash at a breakwall less than a quarter mile from Station Ludington. The owner of the 23-foot powerboat hailed “mayday” after his boat, with two other people on board, hit a breakwall at a high rate of speed and went up onto the rocks. The boat came completely out of the water. Station Manistee’s 47-foot rescue boat and crew were at Station Ludington at the time of the incident. Station Manistee’s boat crew, along with a 30-foot rescue boat and crew from Station Ludington responded to the incident and arrived on scene within minutes.All three people were transported to EMS. From there, two were taken to Ludington Hospital to be treated for injuries. (July 30)

15 rescued from sinking 51-footer

Station San Francisco

The U.S. Coast Guard rescued 15 people from a 51-foot pleasure boat at the entrance to the Oakland Estuary. Coast Guard Group San Francisco received a report that the boat had hit the breakwall at the entrance of the estuary. The impact created an 8-foot hole in the front of the hull. Within minutes a crew from Coast Guard Station San Francisco arrived with a 25-foot small boat to assist the nine children and six adults. The crew began transporting two people at a time, to be treated by awaiting local Emergency Medical Services at Jack London Square. Shortly thereafter, Station San Francisco deployed its 85-foot vessel to assist with the rescue. Then, Coast Guard Station Golden Gate arrived with a 47-foot patrol boat. Two people sustained injuries. One person suffered a head laceration, and the other had a hip injury. All victims were transported safely. The boat was assisted by a commercial towing company and salvage operations were pending. (July 30)

No fuel and missing

Air Station Clearwater, Fla.

Two missing boaters were located 13 miles offshore of Lostmans River by a Coast Guard Air Station Clearwater helicopter. The boat operator’s wife had become worried when her husband and his friend did not come home the night before. The two reported that their 24-foot boat had run out of gas 30 hours prior to their discovery. Coast Guard Cutter Marlin, auxiliary vessels and an HH-60 helicopter and C-130 airplane from Air Station Clearwater searched in the Naples and Marco Island area for the missing boaters. Collier County Sheriff’s Office also conducted a shoreline search and Coast Guard Station Fort Myers Beach and the Naples Police Department were standing by to assist in the search. The truck and trailer used to launch the boat was at Naples Marina. An acquaintance of one of the men said that he might have headed eight miles offshore of Marco Island to go fishing. They were eventually located about 43 miles from where they had launched their boat, and 36 miles from where someone had guessed they might be, according to the Coast Guard. The boat was not carrying a reliable means of communication, such as a VHF radio. A vessel from the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission was the first to arrive after the Coast Guard helicopter crew’s initial sighting. Neither man was in need of medical attention. They were aided by a commercial assistance company, and were en route to Port of Isles under their own power. (Aug. 3)

Taking on water

Cape May, N.J.

Coast Guard units were escorting a 33-foot fishing boat that was taking on water to safe mooring in Cape May, N.J. Sector Field Office Atlantic City received a radio call from the boat announcing “mayday, mayday,” and that they were taking on water about 75 miles southeast of Atlantic City with four people on board. A Coast Guard Falcon Jet from Air Station Cape Cod, Mass., preparing to land at Air Station Atlantic City immediately turned around and dropped a pump to the fishing boat. A good Samaritan picked up and brought the pump to the distressed crew. A rescue helicopter from Atlantic City also headed out to help, and stayed with the distressed boat until a water asset could arrive. In the meantime, Coast Guard Cutter Mako headed out to lend its assistance. Once they arrived, they deployed a rescue and assistance team to assess the situation on the fishing boat. The rescue team temporarily patched the boat’s 8-by-8-inch hole and began escorting the boat into Cape May. (Aug. 3)