Skip to main content

Coast Guard response report

Car in Hudson River

Station New York, N.Y.

A Coast Guard rescue boat crew from Station New York assisted the New York City Police and Fire Departments responding to a report of a car in the Hudson River near 72nd street on Manhattan’s West Side. A witness reported seeing a black Lincoln speed up before entering the river. The Coast Guard worked with the New York Police and Fire Departments and the NYPD Dive Team to search for anyone in the water. Water temperature was reported at 35 degrees and air temperature was 37 degrees. (Dec. 12)


Fire aboard fishing boat

Station Gloucester, Mass.

Coast Guard Station Gloucester transferred an injured fisherman who suffered second- and third-degree burns on his face after the engine on board his fishing boat caught fire. The boat began to sink about 12 miles southeast of Gloucester. Station Gloucester received a VHF call from a second fishing boat, reporting that the other fishing boat was on fire. The Coast Guard had no radio or cell phone communications with the stricken boat. Station Gloucester deployed 25-foot and 47-foot rescue boats and Air Station Cape Cod launched an HH-60 Jayhawk helicopter to the scene. The 60-year-old captain of the fishing boat had donned a survival suit and abandoned ship shortly after his boat caught fire. He was picked up by a good Samaritan, a 40-foot wooden dragger fishing boat. The captain was examined by a Coast Guard crewmember and was reported to be in stable condition. He was then transferred to the 25-foot boat for transport to Station Gloucester. An awaiting ambulance took him to BeverlyHospital for further medical attention. The 47-foot rescue boat remained on scene and reported minimal debris in water and a small oil sheen. The cause of the incident was under investigation. The water temp was reported to be 47 degrees and seas were relatively calm. (Nov. 26)


Three fisherman in peril

Air Station Cape Cod, Mass.

A Coast Guard HH-60 Jayhawk helicopter crew from Air Station Cape Cod rescued three fisherman after their 80-foot fishing boat ran aground near Block Island, R.I. The crew of the 135-ton fishing boat ran aground on a shoal roughly 100 yards from the southern shore of Block Island while en route to their home port of New Bedford. The crew notified Coast Guard Sector Long Island Sound and a helicopter was launched. The fishermen put on survival suits and were preparing to abandon ship when the helicopter arrived on scene near midnight. The crew of the HH-60 Jayhawk hoisted the fisherman from the battered boat and transferred them to Rhode IslandHospital. The cause of the accident was under investigation. (Nov. 21)


Disabled in 20-foot seas

AirStationElizabethCity, N.C.

A sailboat that was disabled off the coast of Bermuda has received a fuel transfer and made effective repairs to return to Bermuda. The 45-foot sailboat, home-ported in Glastonbury, Conn., was disabled about 180 miles north of Bermuda amid 20-foot seas and 50-knot winds. The sailboat, with three people on board, reported loss of the main sail, engine and steering. A motor vessel, which was in the area, agreed to assist. A Coast Guard C-130 airplane from Air Station Elizabeth City, N.C., was also launched to provide air cover. The motor vessel arrived at the sailboat and completed a fuel transfer. The sailboat’s master made repairs to the rudder and planned to motor back to Bermuda. (Nov. 23)


Sailboat foundering offshore

Air Station Clearwater, Fla.

The Coast Guard rescued a man from his sailboat about 280-miles east of Cape Canaveral, Fla. The 57-year-old sailor radioed for help after his 28-footer had its sails blown and lost engine power in 12- to 15-foot seas and gale force winds. A merchant vessel heard the sailor’s call for help and relayed the message to Coast Guard rescue coordinators at Coast Guard’s District 7 command center in Miami. The motor vessel steamed off its course to assist the man. Rescue coordinators launched a C-130 rescue airplane and an HH-60 Jayhawk helicopter from Air Station Clearwater, Fla., to assist in the search. A Coast Guard Jayhawk helicopter working out of the Bahamas was also launched to assist. The motor vessel arrived at the sailboat’s position and reported that the seas were too rough to take off the man. Shortly after, the Bahamas-based helicopter crew hoisted the man to safety in the heavy seas and weather. He was brought back to the Bahamas.(Nov. 23)


Well-prepared boater rescued

Station Wachapreague, Va.

The Coast Guard received notification of an overdue boat with a 40-year-old man on board, which had launched out of Folly Creek. Station Wachapreague launched a 21-foot rescue boat and Coast Guard Air

StationElizabethCity launched an HH-60J helicopter. Station Wacha-preague located the man and his disabled boat off Metompkin Inlet. He was in good condition and taken in tow back to Wachapreague. The crew of Station Wachapreague credits the man for being well-prepared

by filing a float plan with his family, having a life jacket, and having flares. (Dec. 25)