Skip to main content

Coast Guard response report - Long Island Sound

Recent responses from New York

Recent responses from New York

Pleasure boats collide

Station Fire Island, N.Y.

Two vessels collided, resulting in one man reporting back injuries in the Amityville Cut near the West Gilgo Beach, N.Y., in the Great South Bay. Coast Guard Sector Long Island Sound received a call from the Suffolk County 911 dispatcher that two boats had collided and one person was injured. Rescue crews from Suffolk County Marine Police Department, Copiague Fire Marine Unit and Coast Guard Station Fire Island immediately responded to the scene. After colliding, a man was thrown from his 22-foot Aquasport boat into the marshy area of the cut. The other passenger waited in the boat for first responders to arrive. When they arrived on scene, the rescue crews put the injured man onto a backboard. The Copiague Fire Marine Unit brought him to an awaiting ambulance in Tanner Park of Copiague. He was then brought to the Good Samaritan Hospital in West Islip, N.Y. The person aboard the other 20-foot Bayliner boat motored a short distance down the Amityville Cut to await first responders. He immediately called a 911 dispatcher. There has been no report of damage to either boat. None of the three boaters were wearing life jackets. The Coast Guard urges all boaters to be alert, and cautious of other boat traffic while out on the water. The cause of the collision is unknown. Suffolk County Police Department was conducting an investigation of the incident. (July 21)

Boat strikes inlet breakers

Station East Moriches, N.Y.

Two people on a disabled boat were rescued by the Coast Guard moments before their pleasure boat crashed into the breakers in Moriches Inlet. The 18-foot pleasure boat lost power and was dragging anchor toward the 5-foot waves when the Coast Guard rescue crew from Station East Moriches launched and responded. The rescue crew threw a mooring line to one of the men on board who brought it the front of the boat and attached it to a cleat. The Coast Guard rescue crew told the men to pull the anchor free but the anchor was pulling toward the breaker and unable to move. They were instructed by the Coast Guard coxswain to cut the line allowing the boat to be pulled from the breakers. Once the boat was pulled to safer water, the rescue crew put the boat in side tow and safely moored at Coast Guard Sector Field Office Moriches. The anchor line knocked loose a metal running light cover injuring the elbow of the owner of the boat when it broke free. He was met by the East Moriches Volunteer Ambulance Company at the pier and taken to a local hospital. (July 16)

Sailboat taking on water

Station Eaton’s Neck, N.Y.

Two people were rescued by the Coast Guard after their sailboat was flooded with 500 gallons of sea water in Ziegler Cove, Darien, Conn. A Coast Guard rescue crew from Station Eaton’s Neck arrived on scene shortly after receiving the distress call from the 38-foot sailboat and immediately deployed a dewatering pump in the boat’s engine room. After pumping out hundreds of gallons of sea water, the rescue crew was able to determine the source of the leak and secure it. The sailboat flooded due to a malfunctioning valve in the engine room. Sea Tow was on scene and towed the sailboat to a boatyard in Mamaroneck, N.Y. (July 16)