Skip to main content

Coast Guard response report – Long Island Sound Edition

Ferry taking on water

Station New York, N.Y.

Coast Guard Station New York and New York Police Department escorted a ferry to Pier 11 in Manhattan after receiving reports the ferry was taking on water near the Verrazano-NarrowsBridge. The ferry’s master reported taking on water over its side. Winds were at 34 knots sustained with gusts to 50+ knots and waves of 2 to 4 feet in the harbor. The master ordered the 149 passengers to put on life jackets as a personal safety precaution. No injuries were reported. (Jan. 18)


Day sailor missing

Station Rockland, Maine

Crews aboard 47-foot Motor Lifeboats from Coast Guard Station Boothbay and Rockland along with an HH-60 Jayhawk helicopter from Coast Guard Air Station Cape Cod searched the areas between Port Clyde Town Landing and MonheganIsland for a 45-year-old man aboard his 16-foot sailboat after he was reported overdue to CoastSectorFieldOfficeSouthWestHarbor. The man got under way at noon in his daysailers and was expected back in the evening. He was reported to be an experienced sailor, and had life jackets and a hand-held radio on board. A crewmember aboard a 47-foot Motor Lifeboat from Coast Guard Station Rockland located the body of the missing sailboat captain four miles south of Port Clyde, Maine. The 16-foot sailboat was found capsized not far from where his body was found. The man was wearing a life jacket. The incident was under investigation by the Maine Marine Patrol. (Jan. 21)


Couple abandons 30-footer

Station Tybee Island, Ga.

Two people were rescued after their pleasure boat sank about two miles east of Parris Island Spit, S.C. The 68-year-old man and his 65-year-old wife were heading south to Florida on their 30-foot pleasure boat when they apparently received severe damage to their rudder and began rapidly taking on water. The man called the Coast Guard on his VHF radio, and he and his wife put on their life jackets. Rescue coordinators at Sector Charleston launched a rescue helicopter from Air Station Savannah, Ga., and two rescue boats from Station Tybee Island, Ga., to rescue the couple from their foundering boat. The rescue helicopter located the pair and directed the rescue boats to their position. The rescue boat crews pulled off the couple and attempted to save their boat from sinking. Unfortunately, the 30-foot pleasure boat was taking on water too quickly, and rescue boat crews couldn’t safely attempt to save it. The couple was taken to a local boat ramp in Beaufort, S.C., and were reportedly both in good condition. Members of the Beaufort Marine Rescue Squadron are helping the Canadian couple coordinate the salvage of their sunken boat. The sunken pleasure boat poses no significant risk to navigation or the environment. (Jan. 13)


Fishing trip turns fatal

Station Portsmouth, Va.

The Coast Guard suspended its search for three overdue boaters on the James River. The Coast Guard recovered the body of a 53-year-old man, one mile south of the James RiverBridge. A 14-year-old boy and an 8-year-old boy have not been located. The boaters were fishing aboard a 23-foot blue and white fishing boat. The search began after the Coast Guard was notified that the boaters were overdue. Coast Guard Cutter Seahorse, a 41-foot search and rescue boat from Station Portsmouth, an HH-60 Jayhawk Helicopter from Air Station Elizabeth City, N.C., an Army dive team from FortEustis, and members from the Virginia Maritime Resource Police and the Virginia Maritime Resource Commission were involved in the search. The overdue boaters’ vehicle and boat trailer were found at the landing they departed from by the Surry County Sherriff’s Office. (Jan. 15)