Skip to main content

Coast Guard Response Report – Long Island Sound – Oct. 2006

Recent responses from New York and other states

Recent responses from New York and other states

Ejected from PWC

Station New York, N.Y.

Rescue crews continued the search for a missing teenager who was ejected from a personal watercraft following the collision of two PWC in Mill Basin, Jamaica Bay, Brooklyn. Two people were recovered following the accident and were reported to have no injuries. A Coast Guard rescue crew from Station New York, the New York Police Department Harbor Patrol, an NYPD helicopter and the New York City Fire Department searched for the missing person. NYPD divers also arrived on scene. A Coast Guard rescue crew from Station New York assisted the NYPD by setting up a safety zone around the search area. The missing person was said not to have been wearing a life jacket. The cause of the incident was under investigation. (July 1)

Schooner runs aground

Sector Northern New England, Maine

Coast Guard Sector Northern New England received a call that the 80-foot schooner Nathanial Bowditch ran aground just south of Castine, Maine, near Nautilius Rock. Seventeen passengers were safely taken off the schooner by the Nathanial Bowditch’s tenders and taken to the town pier in Castine. The six crew members remained onboard. The schooner was re-floated, and the boat’s captain reported that the vessel didn’t appear to have sustained any damage. There were no reported injuries. A Coast Guard marine inspector was immediately dispatched to determine the status of the schooner. The case was under investigation. (July 18)

Clinging to a cooler

Station Marathon, Fla.

The Coast Guard was searching for a 54-year-old man who went missing in the waters near Sombrero Light, five miles southeast of Marathon Island, Fla. The man was last seen clinging to a red and white cooler after the dinghy in which he and two friends had been fishing tipped over. Two of the three made it to shore and notified Station Marathon that their friend was missing. Crew members from Station Marathon, an HH-65 Dolphin helicopter from Air Station Miami, a small boat from cutter Farralon, a Coast Guard Auxiliary aircraft and a patrol boat from the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission were all searching the area where the man was last seen. (July 22)

Caught in a storm

Station Annapolis, Md.

The Coast Guard saved a married couple a mile-and-a-half from Bloody Point Light, Md., after their sailboat’s propeller became fouled during a severe thunderstorm. A crew from Station Annapolis rescued the two after a report that the 28-foot Mirage had lost its anchor during the storm. The anchor line had wrapped around the boat’s propeller, then dropped and held the sailboat fast, disabling the boat in 5-foot seas and gusts up to 70 knots. A 25-foot rescue boat from the station got under way. By the time the four-person Coast Guard crew arrived, the seas and winds had calmed, but were picking back up because of another storm on the way. After taking the couple off the sailboat, the Coast Guard crew loosened the anchor line enough to cut it and take the boat in tow to a marina in West River. (July 4)

Rescued after swamping

Station Fortesque, N.J.

Four people were rescued by the Coast Guard after their disabled boat began taking on water near the mouth of the Maurice River in Cumberland County, N.J. Sea Tow reported to the Coast Guard that a 12-foot fishing boat was taking on water with four people onboard. The Coast Guard launched a 25-foot boat from Station Fortesque, N.J. The station was able to maintain communications with the four men by cell phone. TheCoast Guard small boat crew turned on their flashing blue lights. Once the men in the sinking boat saw the lights they lit a flare to indicate their position. Crew members from the Coast Guard small boat brought the men on board and took them back to the Maurice River Marina. All four men were wearing life jackets. Sea Tow salvaged the sinking boat. (July 19)