Skip to main content

Coast Guard Response Report – Mid Atlantic

Capsize offshore

Air Station Atlantic City, N.J.

Three men, ages 45 to 49, were rescued after their boat capsized five miles off the coast of Barnegat Light, N.J. The Coast Guard received a distress call, stating only “mayday,” from the crew of the 24-foot pleasure boat. The call for help was picked up by the Coast Guard’s Rescue-21 system, which positioned the call as originating from a location five miles off the coast of Barnegat Light in the Atlantic Ocean. A 47-foot boat from Station Barnegat, and a rescue helicopter from Air Station Atlantic City, were deployed to the scene. After searching the area pinpointed by the Rescue-21 system, the three men were spotted by the crew of the rescue helicopter sitting on the keel of their overturned boat. Two of the three men were wearing life jackets. A rescue swimmer was placed in the water to help the three men, one at a time, into the basket so they could be hoisted to safety. All three men were brought back to Air Station Atlantic City where they were met by local EMS and taken to Atlantic City Mainland Hospital in Galloway, N.J., and treated for mild hypothermia. The three men were in the 64-degree water for about two hours. (June 10)

Fire aboard

Stations Milford Haven, Portsmouth and Cape Charles, Va.

Six people were pulled from a burning boat by good Samaritans, in the vicinity of the mouth of the York River, when a 52-foot Hatteras caught fire. Coast Guard Sector Hampton Roads received a mayday call from the pleasure boat. The Coast Guard issued an Urgent Marine Information Broadcast and launched boats from Coast Guard Stations Milford Haven, Portsmouth and Cape Charles. Two good Samaritan boats responded to the UMIB and pulled all six people from the stricken boat before the Coast Guard arrived on scene. Two Hampton Fire and Rescue boats arrived to fight the fire, but the boat burned completely and sank. There were no injuries or pollution. All six rescued boaters were taken to the Norfolk Yacht Club by the good Samaritan boats. (June 16)

Missing after ejection

Station Washington, D.C.

Local dive teams from Prince George’s County, Md., and Charles County, Md., recovered the remains of two men after they went missing in the Potomac River after being ejected from a 17-foot bass boat they were riding in with another man near the Woodrow Wilson Bridge. Authorities located the two men, both aged 47, with the aid of side-scan sonar technology divers and then recovered the bodies. Coast Guard personnel assisted authorities in the search after they overheard a radio conversation about an unmanned boat while on a routine patrol. A third man, age 42, was rescued by the Alexandria Fire and Rescue boat, transported to a local hospital, treated and released. None of the three was reported to be wearing personal flotation devices at the time they were thrown from the boat. At the height of the search, the Coast Guard had an HH-65 helicopter from Air Station Atlantic City, N.J., along with a 25-foot boat from Coast Guard Station Washington. Other agencies involved in the search were Prince George’s County, Md.; Charles County, Md.; Fairfax County, Va.; the City of Alexandria, Va.; the District of Columbia Metropolitan Police and the Maryland Natural Resources Police. (June 17)