Coast Guard Response Report - Mid-Atlantic


Boat mechanic found dead

Sector North Carolina, N.C.

A 30-year-old man was found dead by a good Samaritan in the Trent Creek, just off of the Bay River. The day before, the owner of a 15-foot Scout pleasure boat notified Sector North Carolina that his mechanic was missing when he noticed his boat traveling in circles on the river, unmanned. The boat was in the process of undergoing repairs when spotted.

A search of the boat revealed tools lying around on deck, the engine throttle ahead full, and the engine cover in the open position, without the mechanic aboard. Rescuers from Station Hobucken, Coast Guard Air Station Elizabeth City, Marine Corps Air Station Cherry Point, Pamlico County Sheriff’s Department, Pamlico Rescue, and both Pamlico and Craven Emergency Operations searched throughout the night and into the morning to find the man. The incident was under investigation by the North Carolina Wildlife Resource Commission. (April 8)


Leap off vessel

Station Georgetown, S.C.

A man was missing after he jumped off his vessel with a friend and his dog to go for a swim in the Intracoastal Waterway in the vicinity of Butler Island, S.C., at about 7:40 p.m. The man, whose name is being withheld pending next-of-kin notification, was boating with a friend and his dog when the two decided to go for a swim. While they were in the water, their vessel floated away from them and only the missing man’s friend was able to make it to nearby Butler Island. A good Samaritan who picked up the missing man’s friend contacted the Coast Guard on channel 16 VHF radio. A Coast Guard rescue boat from Station Georgetown, S.C., and a rescue helicopter from Air Facility Charleston are assisting in the search. Midland Fire Rescue, S.C.; Winyah Bay Rescue, S.C.; Midway Fire Rescue, S.C.; South Carolina Department of Natural Resources; TowBoatU.S.; and two good Samaritans were also assisting in the search. The dog was rescued by a nearby good Samaritan. (April 18)


Three hoisted to safety

Air Station Atlantic City, N.J.

Three pleasure boaters were hoisted to safety by the Coast Guard after running aground in the Maurice River. New Jersey State Police reported to the Coast Guard that an 18-foot bow rider with a family of three on board had run aground in the Maurice River just south of Fort Esque, N.J. The shallow water made it impossible for the State Police boat to rescue the family so a rescue helicopter from Air Station Atlantic City was deployed. All three were airlifted by the rescue helicopter and taken to an airport in Millville, N.J., where they were met by other family members. All three family members were unharmed. (April 1)


Tour boat sinks

Calibogue Sound, S.C.

The Coast Guard was leading the investigation into a tour boat that sank in the Calibogue Sound, S.C., with 28 people aboard. The reason for the sinking had not been determined. A good Samaritan picked up the passengers and crew. Twenty-two passengers were recovered in good condition, and six were transferred to local EMS with reported mild hypothermia. The Coast Guard is broadcasting an urgent marine information broadcast to boaters in the area to steer clear of the sunken boat because it poses it a hazard to navigation. (April 1)


Unmanned boat

Sector North Carolina, N.C.

A 72-year-old man was found deceased at Woodstock Point and the mouth of Pungo Creek by a good Samaritan. Sector North Carolina had received a report of an unmanned, 35-foot fishing boat with its fishing gear deployed at the entrance of Pungo Creek in the Pungo River and responded by initiating a search and rescue mission. An HH-60 Jayhawk helicopter from Air Station Elizabeth City, N.C., and a 23-foot search and rescue boat from Station Hobucken along with Marine Corps Air Station Cherry Point’s Pedro helicopter, Beaufort Sheriff’s Department and Bath County Fire and Rescue searched the area for nine hours, covering 375 square nautical miles — roughly half the size of Beaufort County — with no success. The incident was under investigation by Sector North Carolina Prevention Department. (April 4)


Fishing vessel capsizes

Station Cape May, N.J.

Three people were rescued by the Coast Guard after their fishing boat capsized in the Delaware Bay. A Coast Guard rescue helicopter, a 41-foot utility boat from Coast Guard Station Cape May and a New Jersey State Police boat from the bivalve station were deployed when an urgent call for help came from the fishing boat. The operator and two other people were located by the helicopter after spending almost an hour clinging to the hull of their capsized 19-foot R-Marine fishing boat in 47-degree water. The three were helped into the rescue basket by a Coast Guard rescue swimmer and taken to South Jersey Regional Medical Center where they were treated for mild hypothermia and released. The boat’s operator used a handheld marine band radio to direct the helicopter to their location. None of the people on board the capsized boat were wearing life jackets. The Coast Guard urges boaters to always carry enough life jackets for everyone on board. (April 9)


Stranded dolphin

Station Sandy Hook, N.J.

A Coast Guard rescue crew from Station Sandy Hook was providing a safety zone for responders from the Marine Mammal Stranding Center who were attempting to recover a stranded dolphin in the Navesink River, Monmouth County, N.J. Responders were immediately deployed after a kayaker noticed the stranded dolphin in shallow water near the Oceanic Bridge in Rumson, N.J. The team from the MMSC was monitoring the dolphin, which had been reported able to swim freely but was unable to return to open ocean. Recreational boaters were advised to avoid the area while the response was in progress. (April 20)


Kayakers rescued

Station Charleston, S.C.

Two people were rescued after their kayak capsized about one mile southwest of the Charleston Harbor Marina. A group of kayakers called rescue coordinators at Sector Charleston to report that two men had gone in the waters of Charleston Harbor and needed help. A Coast Guard rescue helicopter from Air Facility Charleston located the pair and vectored in a Coast Guard rescue boat from Station Charleston. The rescue boat recovered the kayakers and their kayak and took them to the Charleston Harbor Marina. Both of the kayakers were in good condition. (March 30)


Man overboard

Station Miami Beach, Fla.

Coast Guard and other agencies were searching for a missing 22-year-old man who fell off a boat in Biscayne Bay. Coast Guard Sector Miami and 911 received calls from two women who were boating with the missing man. According to the women, he was riding on the front of the boat when he fell overboard. According to the two women, they saw him laying face down in the water. The two women reported that they then turned the boat around to pick him up but could not find him. A Coast Guard Station Miami Beach rescue crew was searching for the missing boater along with the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission and Miami-Dade Fire Rescue crews. A Coast Guard HH-65 Dolphin helicopter from Air Station Miami and a Customs and Border Protection boat crew also assisted by searching three different areas with negative results. (April 18)