Skip to main content
Publish date:

Coast Guard response report - Mid-Atlantic

Recent responses from the Mid-Atlantic

Recent responses from the Mid-Atlantic

Coast Guard station kept busy

Station Oregon Inlet, N.C.

A Coast Guard rescue crew from Station Oregon Inlet medivaced an ailing crewmember aboard an Army Corps of Engineers’ dredge Merritt. Station Oregon Inlet was contacted by the captain of the dredge requesting assistance for a 38-year-old crewmember who was experiencing severe back pain and numbness in his legs and feet. A rescue crew on board a 47-foot motor lifeboat from the station was dispatched to the barge where they stabilized the patient and transferred him to EMS personnel onshore. The crewman was then taken to a hospital in Nags Head, N.C., for further treatment. Shortly after completing the medevac, the crew at Oregon Inlet responded to an unmanned 19-foot runaway skiff. The skiff’s owner, a Virginia man, was on his way out to start a day of fishing in Oregon inlet when he hit a wake and fell out of his boat. The man swam to the safety of a nearby shoal. A nearby boater who witnessed the incident called Station Oregon Inlet to report the runaway skiff. A Coast Guard crew on board a 21-foot utility boat was launched to assist. After ensuring that the owner/operator was safe in another boat, the Coast Guard boat crew was able to throw lines at the boats propeller and slow the boat down considerably. The crew then created a wake to force the boat toward a nearby shoal where it eventually ran aground. After securing the boat and removing it from the sand bar, the boat was returned to the owner, and he motored back to the fishing center with no injuries to report. In talking to the operator, the Coast Guard reported that he now realized the importance of using the installed “kill switch” which, if used, would have averted this entire case. (Sept. 26)

Sinking houseboat

Station Annapolis, Md.

The Coast Guard rescued four people, ages 31 to 60, from a sinking houseboat in the MagothyRiver in Annapolis. The Coast Guard received a call reporting a 41-foot houseboat taking on water. A 25-foot response boat crew from Station Annapolis arrived on scene and rescued the four people aboard the houseboat. There were no injuries and the cause of boat taking on water was waves coming over the flat bow. The owner of the houseboat was working with TowBoatU.S. to salvage the vessel. All four people aboard were wearing life jackets. (Sept. 29)

Taking on water

Station Sandy Hook, N.J.

The Coast Guard was towing a 43-foot pleasure boat and two people to safety after it began taking on water near Buoy 1 in the Ambrose Channel. The cabin cruiser, home ported in Montreal, suffered a crack in the port exhaust, which reportedly caused the boat to take on water. A Coast Guard Station Sandy Hook 41-foot rescue boat crew arrived and began using pumps to dewater the cabin cruiser. The boat reportedly had accumulated about 8 inches of water. The Coast Guard rescue crew began towing the cruiser to the Atlantic Highlands Municipal Marina, while a crewmember remained aboard and continued dewatering. Both passengers aboard the cabin cruiser were wearing their life jackets. There were no reports of injuries or pollution. The sea condition was mild with 2- to 3-foot waves. (Oct. 8)

Rescued from grounded boat

Station Barnegat Light, N.J.

The Coast Guard and good Samaritans rescued two men, ages 43 and 47, after their 57-foot fishing boat ran aground and rolled on its side in Barnegat Inlet near Barnegat Lighthouse. The Coast Guard received a call from one of the men reporting that the fishing boat he was aboard had run aground and was listing. Both men donned cold-water immersion suits and abandoned ship. Good Samaritans immediately pulled them out of the water onto their boat. A Coast Guard boat crew from Coast Guard Station Barnegat Light arrived and transferred the two survivors aboard their 25-foot rescue boat. The men were transported back to the station. The owner of the fishing boat was working with Sea Tow on a salvage plan. The boat’s owner said he called the Coast Guard when the boat started to list and he lost control of the fishing boat. He also indicated that he was only able to get out two calls before the men had to jump into the water. The Coast Guard was on the scene within a couple of minutes. (Oct. 11)

Fall over the transom

Sector Baltimore, Md.

The Coast Guard suspended its search for a 61-year-old woman who reportedly had fallen off a boat into the SassafrasRiver. Watchstanders at Coast Guard Sector Baltimore were notified by the woman’s husband who reported she had fallen off the back of their 27-foot, cuddy-cabin boat into the SassafrasRiver. The Coast Guard searched an area of about 42 square miles for more than 24 hours, without locating her. HH-65C Dolphin helicopter rescue crews from Coast Guard Air Station Atlantic City, N.J., completed six aerial search patterns, and 25-foot rescue boat crews from Coast Guard Stations Curtis Bay and Stillpond, Md., completed 15 surface search patterns. The Maryland Natural Resource Police, Cecil Country Fire and Rescue Department, Cecil Country Dive Team, Kent Country Fire and Rescue Department, Aberdeen military police and local police departments assisted the Coast Guard in the search. The husband reported that his wife was not wearing a life jacket when she entered the water. (Oct. 12)

Two rescued after capsize

Station Chincoteague, Va.

A 23-foot boat crew from Coast Guard Station Chincoteague rescued two people from the water after their canoe capsized in Chincoteague Bay. Two crewmembers from Station Chincoteague responded after a bystander from ChincoteagueIsland called Coast Guard Sector Field Office Eastern Shore, Va., to report the overturned canoe. The boat crew rescued a woman from Kentucky and a man from Maryland, and towed their canoe to a dock just north of ChincoteagueSwingBridge. (Oct. 1)