Skip to main content

Coast Guard Response Report- New England

Recent responses from Massachusetts and other states

Recent responses from Massachusetts and other states

Five rescued offshore

Air Station Cape Cod, Mass.

A Coast Guard Air Station Cape Cod HH-60 helicopter crew rescued five Canadian mariners from a 36-foot sailboat about 250 miles southeast of Nantucket, Mass. The master of the sailboat called the Coast Guard, stating they hit rough weather and no longer felt safe. The master said he wanted off of the sailboat. A Coast Guard HU-25 Falcon Jet from Air Station Cape Cod, Mass., was deployed and was later relieved by an Air Station Elizabeth City, N.C., C-130 airplane. An HH-60 Jayhawk rescue helicopter from Air Station Cape Cod was also deployed to aid in the rescue. The Cape Cod rescue helicopter hoisted the five people on board the sailboat to safety and transported them to Coast Guard Air Station Atlantic City, N.J., where they were examined by local EMS and released. The rescued men ranged in age from 54 to 65. All five were from Canada. The crew of the sailboat had sustained three days of gale force winds and some structural damage to their boat. No injuries were reported. (May 28)

Charter takes on water

Air Station Cape Cod, Mass.

Two sailors, ages 81 and 79, were brought safely into port after Station Chatham, Mass., received a distress call from an 81-year-old woman who reported that her chartered 34-foot sailboat was taking on water. The woman was unsure of her location and only knew that she and her husband had left Nantucket and were heading west. Her 79-year-old husband was unable to assist due to extreme seasickness. Coast Guard Sector Southeastern New England took over radio communications, and through further investigation found that the sailboat was in the vicinity of Edgartown Harbor in Martha’s Vineyard. After continuing to take on heavy amounts of water in the choppy 4- to 8-foot seas, the woman called out mayday over the radio and halted further communications with the Coast Guard. Immediately, Air Station Cape Cod dispatched an HH-60 Jayhawk helicopter to search for the sailboat. An Urgent Marine Information Broadcast was also issued to advise other boats in the area of the situation. NOAA research vessel Albatross responded to the broadcast and found the sailboat about three miles north of Edgartown Harbor. Albatross could not get close enough to render assistance; however they did give a detailed location of the sailboat to the Coast Guard helicopter. When the Coast Guard helicopter arrived on scene it was found that the distressed sailors did not need a rescue hoist from their sailboat. Rather, the Oaks Bluffs Fire Department sent a boat and escorted the sailboat to safety. The two people on board were safe and did not receive any severe injuries. (June 7)

Rescued from sinking boat

Station Brandt Point, Mass.

Crews from Air Station Cape Cod and Station Brandt Point, coordinated by Sector Southeastern New England, saved a fishing boat taking on water 10 miles east of Great Point, Nantucket. The 34-foot fishing boat, with a crew of four, called for help after a rogue wave hit and the boat’s pump system stopped. A nearby fishing boat relayed the stricken boat’s position to Coast Guard Sector Southeastern New England. Sector Southeastern New England sent an Urgent Marine Information Broadcast and an Air Station Cape Cod HH-60 Jayhawk helicopter diverted to the scene. The helicopter crew lowered a pump to the fishing boat and instructed them on how to run it. A Station Brandt Point 41-foot utility boat then escorted the fishing boat toward Harwichport until they were no longer in distress. There were no reported injuries and the boat was successfully dewatered. (June 8)

Ferry fire

Station Point Allerton, Mass.

Coast Guard Sector Boston coordinated the rescue of 65 passengers and five crewmembers from a ferry that had an engine room fire in Quincy Bay. The ferry departed Rowes Wharf in Boston Harbor and was south of Long Island Bridge on the way to Hingham Harbor when a fire broke out in the vessel’s engine room. Another ferry was in the area and came to the aid of the stricken ferry after its crew noticed smoke billowing out from the 100-foot commuter boat. The stricken ferry then anchored in 21 to 26 feet of water while the other ferry pulled along side and evacuated all passengers and crew. There were no reports of any injuries. Coast Guard CDR Thomas Miller, who works at Sector Boston, happened to be commuting home on the ferry and called the Sector Boston Operations Center to report the incident. Coast Guard Station Point Allerton launched a 41-foot utility boat, which arrived to establish a safety zone around the stricken ferry. Boston Fire Department launched Firefighter, which arrived on scene and extinguished the fire. The ferry is operated by Mass Bay Lines who is working closely with the Coast Guard and the Boston Fire Department to formulate a salvage plan. The Coast Guard was investigating the cause of the incident. (June 12)

Caught in rip current

Air Station Cape Cod, Mass.

An HH-60 helicopter crew from Air Station Cape Cod rescued two kayakers from the waters south of Plum Island. One of the kayakers contacted the Coast Guard on a hand-held radio, stating that he and another man were in separate kayaks when they got caught in a rip current, which caused their kayaks to flip, leaving them in the water. Both men were wearing dry suits and life jackets. One kayak got away from them, but they were able to climb on top of the other overturned one and launch a flare to indicate their position. A 47-foot Coast Guard rescue boat from Station Merrimack River was deployed, along with another 47-foot Coast Guard rescue boat from Station Gloucester and an HH-60 helicopter from Air Station Cape Cod. Due to shallow water, the rescue boats could not reach the men, so the helicopter crew hoisted them from the water, and transported them to Plum Island Airport where there was an ambulance waiting. They declined medical attention, but both were reported in good condition. The second kayak was pulled from the water by local police. (June 4)

Capsize offshore

Air Station Atlantic City, N.J.

Three men, ages 45 to 49, were rescued after their boat capsized five miles off the coast of Barnegat Light, N.J. The Coast Guard received a distress call stating only “mayday” from the crew of the 24-foot pleasure boat. The call for help was picked up by the Coast Guard’s Rescue-21 system, which positioned the call as originating from a location five miles off the coast of Barnegat Light in the Atlantic Ocean. A 47-foot boat from Station Barnegat and a rescue helicopter from Air Station Atlantic City were deployed to the scene. After searching the area pinpointed by the Rescue-21 system, the three men were spotted by the crew of the rescue helicopter sitting on the keel of their overturned boat. Two of the three men were wearing life jackets. A rescue swimmer was placed in the water to help the three men one at a time into the basket so they could be hoisted to safety. All three men were brought back to Air Station Atlantic City where they were met by local EMS and taken to Atlantic City Mainland Hospital in Galloway, N.J., and treated for mild hypothermia. The three men were in the 64-degree water for about two hours. (June 10)

Vessel taking on water

Station Cape May, N.J.

A Coast Guard cutter responded to a 27-foot sportfishing boat taking on water off the coast of New Jersey. The crew of the sportfisherman radioed the Coast Guard and reported that their boat was experiencing a shaft leak 27 miles off the coast of Atlantic City, N.J. Cutter Finback responded to the crew’s request for help. Water removal pumps on board the sportfisherman were able to keep up with the water coming in while Finback escorted them back to Great Egg Harbor. (June 12)

Three rescued, one missing

Stations New York and

Sandy Hook, N.J.

The Coast Guard suspended the search for a missing boater who was a passenger on a 22-foot pleasure boat that capsized 200 yards off Breezy Point near Rockaway Inlet. The three rescued passengers that were on the boat were treated for minor injuries and taken to shore by the U.S. Park Police. Another pleasure boat crew observed the capsized vessel sinking and immediately radioed Coast Guard Sector New York Command Center in Staten Island. The crew then performed a good Samaritan rescue of the three survivors and searched for the fourth boater. Rescue crews from Coast Guard Stations New York and Sandy Hook, N.J., the New York City police and fire departments, and the U.S. Park Police immediately initiated a search for the missing boater. The incident is under investigation. (June 14)

Good Samaritan assists rowers

Station New York

A good Samaritan assisted two boaters, an adult and a child, who were having difficulty rowing their raft ashore in Jamaica Bay, Queens. Citywide 911 operators notified the Coast Guard after a beachgoer spotted them having difficulty. The Coast Guard immediately launched a rescue boat from Station New York and broadcast an urgent marine information broadcast by marine band radio. A good Samaritan responded to the broadcast and within minutes pulled the two rafters safely to shore where New York City Police Department officers from the 100th Precinct met them to verify their safe arrival. (June 15)

Fire aboard

Stations Milford Haven, Portsmouth and Cape Charles, Va.

Six people were pulled from a burning boat by good Samaritans in the vicinity of the mouth of the York River when a 52-foot Hatteras caught fire. Coast Guard Sector Hampton Roads received a mayday call from the pleasure boat. The Coast Guard issued an Urgent Marine Information Broadcast and launched boats from Coast Guard Stations Milford Haven, Portsmouth and Cape Charles. Two good Samaritan boats responded to the UMIB and pulled all six people from the stricken boat before the Coast Guard arrived on scene. Two Hampton Fire and Rescue boats arrived to fight the fire, but the boat burned completely and sank. There were no injuries or pollution. All six rescued boaters were taken to the Norfolk Yacht Club by the good Samaritan boats. (June 16)