Coast Guard Response Report - Northeast


Recent responses from the Northeast

Recent responses from the Northeast

Surfers caught in current

Station Jones Beach, N.Y.

A Coast Guard crew from Station Jones Beach rescued two surfers from Jones Beach Inlet. The two men were surfing at Jones Beach with four other friends when strong currents began carrying them out to sea. Two of the surfers in the party were ashore at the West End Boat Basin in Freeport when they noticed the currents carrying the other four away and immediately notified 911 operators. A 47-foot rescue boat and crew were immediately diverted and rescued the two men within three minutes of receiving the report; the men had no injuries. The other two surfers caught in the current made it safely ashore at Point Lookout without Coast Guard assistance. The Coast Guard urges all beach-goers to share their plans with someone and to address safety concerns by contacting authorities such as lifeguards, police marine units or the Coast Guard for local information on currents and other unsafe conditions before entering the water. (March 26)


Sailors trapped on jetty

Station Brant Point, Mass.

Coast Guard crews from Air Station Cape Cod and Station Brant Point rescued two sailors after their 37-foot sailboat hit the rocks on the east jetty at the opening of Nantucket Harbor. The two sailors, ages 30 and 39, called Station Brant Point by cell phone and reported that their sailboat had struck the jetty, lost power and started taking on water. Both men were wearing life jackets. A crew aboard a 47-foot motor life boat from Station Brant Point launched soon after receiving the call. The Station Brant Point crew arrived on scene and were not able to reach the shallow area the sailors were trapped in. Coast Guard Sector Southeastern New England immediately deployed an HH-60 Jayhawk helicopter from Air Station Cape Cod after receiving word from Station Brant Point that they were not able to rescue the sailors. After arriving on scene, a rescue swimmer was deployed into the water near the sailboat. Both men were taken off the sailboat and transferred to the motor life boat from Station Brant Point. Both men were reported to be in good condition and were not in need of any immediate medical attention. The weather was described as calm seas, clear visibility and 5- to 10-knot winds. The owners were working with commercial salvage to remove the sailboat from the jetty. (April 17)


Three boaters rescued

Station Point Judith, R.I.

Coast Guard Station Point Judith crewmembers rescued three men clinging to their overturned 17-foot boat near Misquamicut Beach in Westerly, R.I. The survivors were pulled on the 47-foot motor lifeboat (MLB) and taken to Weakapog Breachway where they were being evaluated by Emergency Medical Services. Station Point Judith was notified of the incident by local 911 dispatchers and immediately deployed the MLB and a 25-foot defender class boat to the scene. The boat was towed to Weakapog Breachway where Rhode Island Department of Environmental Management assumed custody. All three people were wearing life jackets. The Coast Guard reminds all boaters that immersion in such cold water is very dangerous. In addition to the threat of hypothermia, a person in cold water rapidly loses dexterity and the ability to swim. (April 21)


Three hoisted to safety

Air Station Atlantic City, N.J.

Three pleasure boaters were hoisted to safety by the Coast Guard after running aground in the Maurice River. New Jersey State Police reported to the Coast Guard that an 18-foot bow rider with a family of three on board had run aground in the Maurice River just south of Fort Esque, N.J. The shallow water made it impossible for the State Police boat to rescue the family so a rescue helicopter from Air Station Atlantic City was deployed. All three were airlifted by the rescue helicopter and taken to an airport in Millville, N.J., where they were met by other family members. All three family members were unharmed. (April 1)