Skip to main content

Coast Guard Responses

Three men and dog rescued

Station Ocean City, Md.

Three hunters and their dog were rescued by the Coast Guard, Virginia Marine Police and the Maryland State Police in Chincoteague Bay, Va. Worchester, Md., 911 received a phone call from three hunters on a cellular phone to report their boat was disabled and they were stranded near Whittington Point, Md. After receiving the report from Worchester 911, Assateague Park Service contacted the Coast Guard and search and rescue efforts began. Coast Guard Station Ocean City, Md., and Coast Guard Station Chincoteague, Va., with Virginia Marine Police, immediately launched rescue boats and began searching for the hunters in the frigid 17-degree temperatures and gusty wind conditions. Coast Guard Group Eastern Shore, Va., issued an Urgent Marine Information Broadcast and obtained assistance from Maryland State Police Helicopter Trooper 4, from Salisbury, Md., to assist in the search and rescue effort. The helicopter quickly located the hunters using night vision goggles and directed rescue boats to the scene. Upon arriving, the Coast Guard was able to recover all three hunters and tow their boat to safety. The hunters were examined for signs of hypothermia and released by Snow Hill, Md., EMS at the dock. The Coast Guard credits the rescue of the hunters to the excellent relationship between the U.S. Coast Guard, Maryland State Police, Virginia Marine Police, Worchester 911 and EMS, and Assateague Park Service. (Jan. 21)

2 rescued from life raft

Station Cape May, N.J.

With heavy weather rolling in, Coast Guard Cutter Ibis rescued two men from a life raft after their 45-foot scalloper sank about 20 miles east of Atlantic City. Their boat began taking on water and sank leaving the two men, ages 36 and 21, with just enough time to throw their life raft overboard and grab their EPIRB before abandoning the boat. Coast Guard Group Atlantic City received a call from the Rescue Coordination Center in Portsmouth, Va., reporting the activation of the EPIRB, the location of the signal and the registered information for the boat. Group Atlantic City immediately issued an Urgent Marine Information Broadcast to alert any other boats in the area about the distress. A rescue helicopter from Airstation Atlantic City, a 47-foot rescue boat from Station Atlantic City, and Cutter Ibis from Cape May, N.J., headed to the source of the distress signal as well. A fishing boat nearby called the Coast Guard and reported a raft with two people on board waving their arms. The Coast Guard units arrived to find the raft in 6- to 8-foot seas and 20-mph winds. A small boat from Ibis pulled the two to safety and returned to the cutter where an EMT on board administered basic care. Ibis transported the two survivors to an awaiting ambulance at Station Atlantic City where they were taken to Atlantic City Medical Center for further care. The condition of the survivors and the cause of the sinking were unknown at the time. (Jan. 19)