Coast Guard Responses


Missing after capsize

Station St. Indigoes, Md.

One man is missing and another is in the hospital after their 19-foot boat capsized in the Wicomico River near Cobb Island, Md. The cause of the capsizing was not immediately known. The Coast Guard was searching, along with Bay District and Charles County fire departments, Maryland State Police, and Maryland Natural Resources Police, for the missing man. The two men had been crabbing. After the boat capsized, one of the men made it to shore but reported that the other man had gone under water. St. Mary’s County received the distress call. A Bay District fireboat was the first to respond but found no sign of the missing man. A Coast Guard rescue helicopter from Air Station Elizabeth City, N.C., and Coast Guard rescue boat from Station St. Indigoes, Md., searched the area on the surface. Bay District Fire Department and the Maryland Natural Resources Police searched the area around the boat with divers. Maryland Natural Resources Police and Bay District Fire Department started a dragging operation. Search coordinators received air support from both Naval Station Patuxent River and the Maryland State Police. Other units that assisted include the Charles County Fire Department dive team and Calvert County dive team. The weather conditions in the area where the search took place were favorable with 10-knot winds, one-foot seas and water temperatures in the 70s. Neither of the men were reportedly wearing a life jacket. Maryland Natural Resources Police was continuing to investigate the incident. (June 9)

Capsize under bridge

Station Annapolis, Md.

Five people were rescued after their 17-foot Bayliner capsized under the Bay Bridge in Annapolis, Md. Members of the Maryland Natural Resources Police department and Coast Guardsmen from Station Annapolis responded after hearing a mayday call over maritime distress channel 16. The Coast Guard recovered the individuals from the water and took them to the Matapeake boat ramp where one of them was treated by local emergency medical personnel from Queen Anne’s County and then released. All of the individuals were wearing their life jackets and had a VHF radio to call for help, the Coast Guard reported. MNRP was coordinating the salvage of the 17-foot boat. (June 14)

Divers missing

Station Wrightsville Beach, N.C.

One diver was rescued from the water while a search continued for another 30 miles southeast of Bald Head Island, N.C. The condition of the rescued diver was unknown. The two divers were reported missing from their diving vessel. Once alerted, the Coast Guard launched a 47-foot rescue boat from Station Wrightsville Beach, N.C., a 47-foot rescue boat from Station Oak Island, N.C., and an HH-60 helicopter and C-130 airplane from Air Station Elizabeth City, N.C., to search. The C-130 aircrew spotted one of the divers and dropped a life raft. The aircraft remained circling overhead while a second helicopter from Air Station Elizabeth City arrived and hoisted the diver from the life raft. The diver was flown to awaiting EMS personnel. Coast Guard Cutter Staten Island was en route to assist in the search. (June 18)

Sailboat capsizes

Station Erie, Pa.

Coast Guard Station Erie pulled four people from the waters of Presque Isle Bay. The call came into Station Erie on VHF channel 16 from another mariner, reporting that a 20-foot sailboat had capsized and the four people were thrown into the water. Station Erie immediately diverted a 23-foot Coast Guard boat and crew from patrol. The crew arrived on scene approximately 10 minutes later and rescued all passengers. There were no injuries, but all four passengers were transferred to awaiting EMS for follow-up. (June 19)