Skip to main content

Coast Guard Responses - Florida

Recent responses from the Southeast

Recent responses from the Southeast

Missing boater near Key Largo

Station Islamorada, Fla.

The Coast Guard was searching for a boater that had not returned from his fishing trip near Key Largo, Fla. The 48-year-old man departed alone from Sexton Cove in Key Largo in a 16-foot boat. He was reported missing after not reporting to work for three days. Coast Guard crews from Station Islamorada, Fla., and a Coast Guard Auxiliary aircraft began searching for the man. Also searching were Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission officials and Monroe County Sheriff’s Department deputies. (Nov. 29)

EPIRB save two

Air Station New Orleans, La.

The Coast Guard suspended its search for the two missing crewmen of a 60-foot fishing boat. Crews from two Coast Guard cutters, an HH-65C Dolphin rescue helicopter from Air Station New Orleans, an HU-25 Falcon jet from Aviation Training Center Mobile, Ala., and a C-130 Hercules jet from Air Station Clearwater, Fla., searched 800 nautical square miles using 79 aircraft hours and 46 cutter hours after the boat reportedly sank with four people on board 100 miles south of Grand Isle, La. The Coast Guard received an EPIRB signal from the boat and launched an HU-25 Falcon jet from Air Station Corpus Christi to investigate. The Falcon crew located the boat’s deflated life raft with no people onboard. A good Samaritan found and rescued one passenger who was clinging to a life ring. A crew from Air Station New Orleans found a second crewman clinging to a buoy. Both men were medevaced to Air Station New Orleans where they were then taken by an ambulance to a nearby hospital and listed in stable condition. The Coast Guard reported that the EPIRB played a major role in finding the two crewmen. (Dec. 23)

Angler overdue

Station Charleston, S.C.

A multiagency search resulted in the rescue of a missing 68-year-old man on Clouter Creek, S.C., after he was reported missing by his wife. The man left the North Charleston Fishing Club for a day of fishing on a 14-foot white fiberglass skiff. His wife called Coast Guard rescue coordinators at Sector Charleston to report him overdue after he didn’t return from his fishing trip. The man’s truck and boat trailer were still at the North Charleston Fishing Club. Coast Guard rescue coordinators launched a Coast Guard boat crew from Station Charleston and a Coast Guard helicopter crew from Air Facility Charleston to search for the overdue fisherman. Coast Guard rescue coordinators also contacted South Carolina Department of Natural Resources, the Charleston County Sheriff’s Office and the Charleston County Rescue Squad to assist in the search. DNR provided two boats, the Sheriff’s Office provided a helicopter and the Charleston County Rescue Squad provided two boats to assist in the search. Rescue crews searched throughout the night and didn’t spot any sign of the man or his boat. At 9:23 a.m., a DNR fixed-wing aircraft spotted the man in a marsh on Clouter Creek near the Don Holt Bridge, S.C. A nearby DNR boat crew assisting in the search rescued him and transported him to EMS at the North Charleston Fishing Club. He was suffering from mild hypothermia. (Nov. 28)

Hoisted from sailboat

Air Station Miami, Fla.

A Coast Guard HH-65C Dolphin helicopter crew from Air Station Miami rescued a husband and wife after their 32-foot sailboat sank 30 miles north of Grand BahamaIsland. A tug contacted search and rescue coordinators at Coast Guard Sector Miami after hearing a mayday call over VHF channel 16. Crewmembers from the tug were able to detect the sailboat’s position and that it was taking on water as a result of striking a reef. Sector Miami immediately launched an HU-25 Falcon jet and an HH-65C Dolphin helicopter from Air Station Miami. The Falcon crew arrived first and found the sailboat on the rocks. The Dolphin crew arrived on scene shortly thereafter, hoisting both people from the sailboat and transporting them to awaiting EMS at Palm BeachInternationalAirport. The Coast Guard noted the professionalism of the crew of the tug and their assistance in saving the two people. (Dec. 23)