Skip to main content

Coast Guard Responses – Mid-Atlantic

Recent responses from South Carolina and the Southeast

Recent responses from South Carolina and the Southeast

Sportfisher taking on water

Air Facility Charleston, S.C.

A Coast Guard search and rescue crew from Air Facility Charleston assisted a boat taking on water 30 miles northeast of Charleston. Two men were aboard the 50-foot sportfisherman when they contacted the Coast Guard after losing one of their two engines because of flooding. A helicopter from Air Facility Charleston immediately launched to assist the boaters. The helicopter arrived at the boat’s location and lowered a de-watering pump and rescue swimmer to control the flooding. The two men were able to control the flooding with the de-watering pump, and they were escorted back to CharlestonHarbor by a Station Charleston small boat. (Oct. 24)

Offshore and taking on water

Station Georgetown, S.C.

The Coast Guard has suspended its search for a 29-year-old man off the coast of South Carolina. The man, and another 31-year-old man on board, were four miles off the coast of Murrells Inlet, S.C., when their 16-foot pleasure boat began taking on water and became disabled. They contacted the Coast Guard via cellular telephone and requested assistance. Search and rescue crews immediately launched to search for the two men after notification. The men reported that they had life jackets on board, but they didn’t have any signaling devices with them. A small craft advisory was in effect in the area. The 31-year-old man was rescued by Station Georgetown, S.C., early the next morning 11 miles east of Winyah Bay, S.C. He was then taken to GeorgetownMemorialHospital by a Coast Guard Air Facility Charleston helicopter. The Coast Guard continued to search for the other man. A combined total of 700 square miles were searched for a combined total of 35 hours for the missing men. According to the rescued man, both men were wearing their life jackets when their boat flipped over. (Nov. 3)

Sailors missing in storm


Norfolk, Va.

The Coast Guard has suspended the search for two sailors who went missing during a storm approximately 270 miles north of Bermuda. Coast Guard and Navy assets searched approximately 3,000 square miles for a 44-year-old woman and 47-year-old man. Three Coast Guard C-130 airplane crews from Air Station Elizabeth City, N.C., an HU-25 Falcon jet crew based at Air Station Cape Cod, Mass., two Automated Mutual Assistance Vessel Rescue (AMVER) vessels and U.S.S. Carter Hall, a Navy dock-landing amphibious ship homeported in Norfolk, Va., assisted with the search. Carter Hall was in the vicinity and assisted with the search while heading stateside following a seven-month deployment overseas. A Norwegian flagged chemical tanker and a 645-foot Panamanian flagged AMVER motor vessel also searched for the missing sailors. The missing sailors were aboard the 42-foot sailboat and sailing from Long Island, N.Y., to Bermuda, when the crew with five people aboard encountered heavy weather. RescueCoordinationCenterNorfolk notified the AMVER vessel to assist. While attempting to transfer passengers from their sailboat to the motor vessel, two of the sailors disappeared. Both sailors were reportedly wearing life jackets when they entered the water. (Nov. 5)

Disoriented and aground

Sector Charleston, S.C.

The Coast Guard rescued two stranded boaters two miles out on the southern jetties of CharlestonHarbor. A 62-year-old man and 52-year-old woman were on the 40-foot cabin cruiser when they became disoriented and grounded their boat on the southern jetty. The man contacted Coast Guard Sector Charleston on VHF channel 16 to request assistance. A helicopter from Coast Guard Air Facility Charleston diverted to the scene to hoist the two boaters off the grounded boat. The two boaters were taken back to Air Facility Charleston in good condition. Commercial salvage has removed the boat from the rocks. No pollution from the grounding has been spotted in the area. (Nov. 8)

Cruise ship re-floated

Virginia Beach, Va.

A 207-foot cruise ship, which went aground in the Intracoastal Waterway (ICW) in Virginia Beach, Va., was re-floated. The ship was being escorted by the Coast Guard and the Virginia Beach Police Department to a shipyard in Norfolk, Va. The Army Corps of Engineers located a submerged object approximately eight feet below surface. The object is marked and was scheduled to be removed that day. The Coast Guard is enforcing a safety zone between the Great Bridge Albemarle Sound light 25 (LL 37330) and the Great Bridge Albemarle Sound light 27 (LL 37335). This area of the ICW is closed to all commercial vessel traffic. The area is also closed to recreational boats that have a draft of more than six feet. There is no additional pollution associated with the grounding of the ship. The cause of the incident was under investigation. (Nov. 10)

Four boaters rescued

Station Sandy Hook, N.J.

Four people were rescued 100 yards off of Sandy Hook Point after their 19-foot pleasure boat began sinking. The four men, ages 51, 48, 22 and 78, were on board the boat when it began sinking. A Sector New York search and rescue controller received a distress call over the radio stating that the boat was taking on water. The owner of the vessel told the Coast Guard his location. Station Sandy Hook dispatched immediately. A Coast Guard 25-foot rescue boat crew from Station Sandy Hook arrived 10 minutes after the initial call. When the Coast Guard arrived, a Good Samaritan had already pulled three of the four individuals out of the water. The boat was submerged to the point where just the superstructure was out of the water. The Good Samaritan was waving his arms and we saw another individual in the water with a radio in his hands talking to the station. The Coast Guard pulled him out of the water and then transferred the other three from the Good Samaritan’s boat to their own. All of the rescued individuals were brought to Station Sandy Hook where emergency medical personnel were waiting. The oldest man was brought to a nearby Hospital in Red Bank, N.J., for treatment of hypothermia. It was unknown why the boat sank. All individuals were wearing life jackets. The semi-submerged vessel was taken to a nearby marina by Sea Tow. The water temperature was 52 degrees and seas were three feet. (Nov. 11)

Disabled and overdue

Air Station Atlantic City, N.J.

The Coast Guard rescued three fishermen, ages 32, 43 and 45, from the shore of Thompson Beach near Bidwell Creek in Delaware Bay after the 24-foot skiff they were aboard became disabled. The Coast Guard received a call reporting the fishing boat was 15 hours overdue with three people aboard. A Coast Guard helicopter crew from Air Station Atlantic City, N.J., and a small boat crew from Station Cape May conducted a search for the fishermen. The helicopter crew spotted a strobe light followed by a flare near ThompsonBeach. The aircrew landed and brought the three men aboard and transported them to Coast Guard Air Station Atlantic City. One of the men was reported to be diabetic and was taken to AtlantiCareRegionalMedicalCenter by ambulance as a precaution. (Nov. 15)

Two in the water

Station Georgetown, S.C.

The Coast Guard has rescued one of two missing brothers from their 16-foot boat. The 31-year-old brother was rescued by a Station Georgetown, S.C., boat crew 11 miles east of Winyah Bay, S.C. He was then hoisted by a Coast Guard Air Facility Charleston helicopter and taken to a nearby hospital. The Coast Guard was continuing its search for the 29-year-old brother. Coast Guard Cutter Tarpon, an aircraft from the South Carolina Department of Natural Resources, and a Coast Guard Auxiliary aircraft were joining the search. According to the rescued brother, both men were wearing their life jackets when their boat flipped over. They contacted the Coast Guard via cellular telephone and requested assistance. (Nov. 3)

Empty boat aground

Air Facility Charleston, S.C.

The Coast Guard suspended its search for a missing boater near Winyah Bay, S.C. A 58-year-old man departed alone from a landing in Georgetown in a 14-foot boat early in the morning. He was reported missing after not returning at noon as planned. A helicopter from Coast Guard Air Facility Charleston, S.C., found the man’s empty 14-foot boat beached on Hare Island, S.C., later that night. The Coast Guard, South Carolina Department of Natural Resources, Georgetown County Sheriff’s office, and Winyah Bay Rescue continued to search 250 square miles with boats and aircraft for more than 50 combined hours throughout the night and the next day until dusk. (Nov. 25)