Skip to main content

Coast Guard Responses – Mid-Atlantic

Recent responses from the Mid-Atlantic region

Recent responses from the Mid-Atlantic region

Disabled and sinking

St. Inigoes, Md.

The Coast Guard assisted the sole operator of a 19-foot boat near St. Inigoes, Md., after the boat became disabled and started to take on water. Once on scene, the Coast Guard crew discovered the flooding had stabilized and the crew began to tow the boat. The Coast Guard was towing the boat to St. George Island, Md. An inspection of the boat was planned to determine the cause of the flooding. (April 30)

7 lost in fog

Station Cape May, N.J.

A Coast Guard crew rescued seven people who were disoriented in fog aboard a 22-foot boat two miles off the coast of Wildwood, N.J. The Coast Guard received a call from a passenger aboard the sport fishing boat reporting their GPS was disabled, and they were disoriented in the fog. The position of the boat was attained by the Coast Guard’s Rescue 21 system. Rescue 21 is a newly-established search-and-rescue and command-and-control system, leveraging 21st century technology to boost search-and-rescue capability and better protect the nation’s coastal waterways and ports. A rescue boat crew from Coast Guard Station Cape May, N.J., arrived on scene and escorted the crew of the sport fisher to a marina in Cape May. (May 4)

Alone on overturned hull

Station Great Egg, N.J.

A good Samaritan and the Coast Guard rescued a sailor after the sailboat he was on capsized about eight miles southeast of Corson’s Inlet, N.J. The 57-year-old man was discovered in a survival suit, sitting atop his overturned sailboat by the pilot of a recreational fishing boat. The good Samaritan contacted the Coast Guard, which launched rescue boat crews from Coast Guard stations Great Egg and Townsend Inlet, N.J. The rescue crew from Station Great Egg arrived on scene and took the man back to their station in Ocean City, N.J., to EMS personnel. He was examined and released by medical personnel at the station. The man was aboard his 31-foot sailboat transiting from Cape May to Massachusetts when his boat capsized off the New Jersey coast. He was working with salvage crews from Sea Tow to develop a salvage plan for his boat. (May 10)

Battered in storm

Air Station Atlantic City, N.J.

The Coast Guard rescued two sailors after they were caught in a storm and experienced engine problems near Liston Point, Del. Both men, 48, were transiting from Rye to Gratitude, Md., aboard a 27-foot sailboat when the two men got caught in a storm, experienced engine failure, and couldn’t find safe harbor. They notified the Coast Guard, which dispatched crews from Port Penn, Del., Fire and Rescue, Coast Guard Station Philadelphia and Coast Guard Air Station Atlantic City, N.J. With the sailboat being pushed toward the jetties between Liston Point and Blackbird Creek, Del., the rescue boat crews were unable to reach the sailors safely. The helicopter rescue crew hoisted both men and transferred them back to the air station, where they were in good health. The sailboat’s owner is working with commercial salvage to save the boat. (May 12)

Five rescues, one day

Air Station Atlantic City, N.J.

A rescue helicopter crew from Coast Guard Air Station Atlantic City rescued a sailor after his 30-foot sailboat ran aground off the coast of Ocean City, Md., making it the fifth rescue for the air crew that day. Someone on shore contacted the Coast Guard and reported seeing a sailboat run aground off 10th Street in OceanCity. A rescue boat crew from Coast Guard Station Ocean City and a rescue helicopter crew from Coast Guard Air Station Atlantic City arrived on scene to assist the sailor. The rescue helicopter crew hoisted him and transferred him to the OceanCityMunicipalAirport. The Coast Guard urged mariners to exercise extreme caution when transiting coastal and inland waterways as severe weather passed through the mid-Atlantic region that day. A gale warning was in effect for the inland and coastal waters of Virginia and North Carolina with northeastern winds forecasted to reach 30-35 mph. The Coast Guard has saved or assisted 17 people since the severe weather system entered the mid-Atlantic region. (May 12)

Caught in 8-foot seas

Charleston, S.C.

Four people were rescued by the crew of a Coast Guard cutter after their 38-foot sailboat began taking on water approximately 200 miles east of Charleston, S.C. The four boaters were sailing when the boat began taking on water after it apparently struck an unknown object in water. The sailboat began flooding rapidly, and the group had no choice but to activate their EPIRB to signal for help. The Coast Guard Rescue Coordination Center at Atlantic Area Command in Portsmouth, Va., was the first to receive the distress signal. Rescue coordinators at Atlantic Area forwarded the call to Coast Guard District Seven Command in Miami to coordinate the rescue. Rescue coordinators at District Seven diverted the crew of Coast Guard Cutter Reliance to make the rescue. Reliance was only six miles away from the sailboat’s position when they diverted to help. The crew of Reliance arrived to the aid of the sailboat just in time. The sailboat’s cabin had filled with approximately four feet of water, and the boat’s bilge pumps had lost power and were no longer pumping water off the boat. A rescue crew from Reliance piloted their ship’s small boat through 8- to 10-foot seas to the sailboat and pulled all four of the sailors off the sinking sailboat safely. The four sailors were aboard the Reliance and in good condition. They were to stay aboard the cutter until the ship pulls into Cape Cod, Mass. The crew of the sailboat were on their way to Beaufort, S.C., from Fort Lauderdale, Fla., when they began to take on water. The crew of Reliance was unable to tow the sailboat in port safely because it was taking on too much water and the seas offshore were too large. The sailboat was adrift and its position has been marked in order to prevent it from initiating any false mayday calls. (May 13)

Heart attack aboard

Station Cape May, N.J.

The Coast Guard medevaced a 60-year-old man today who was suffering a heart attack aboard a 31-foot boat six miles northwest of Cape May Inlet, N.J. The Coast Guard received a call reporting a man aboard the boat was suffering a heart attack and crewmembers were performing cardiopulmonary resuscitation. Rescue boat crews from Coast Guard Stations Cape May and Fortescue, N.J., and Fortescue Fire and Rescue arrived on scene. The man was transferred aboard the rescue boat from Coast Guard Station Cape May and transported to the Cape May ferry terminal. The man was transferred to emergency medical personnel who pronounced him dead. (May 24)