Skip to main content

Coast Guard Responses – Mid-Atlantic

Recent responses from the Mid-Atlantic region

Recent responses from the Mid-Atlantic region

Father, son on sinking boat

Sector North Carolina, N.C.

A Coast Guard rescue crew from Station Hobucken, N.C., assisted a father and son near the Fairfield Swingbridge after their 32-foot pleasure boat began taking on water. Watchstanders at Coast Guard Sector North Carolina were notified by the boaters that they were taking on water through a loose shaft seal, but that the bilge pumps onboard were able to keep up with the flooding. When the rescue crew arrived on scene, they sent their boat engineer, a machinery technician, onboard the pleasure boat where he tightened the shaft and stopped the leakage. The boat was then able to sail to a marina under its own power. (March 28)

Aground on a sandbar

Station Charleston, S.C.

Four boaters were rescued by the Coast Guard after their boat ran aground near the jetties on the southern portion of the Charleston Harbor entrance. Three passengers were on a 33-foot boat piloted by a fourth boater when the vessel ran aground on a sandbar nearby. The boat was tipped to one side and waves began crashing into the boat. A nearby boater called Coast Guard Sector Charleston for assistance for the four boaters on the foundering vessel. Sector launched a rescue boat from Station Charleston and a rescue helicopter from Air Facility Charleston to assist the boaters. A nearby Tow Boat US salvage boat joined in the effort. The 33-foot boat was in water too shallow for the rescue or salvage boats to get to safely. The four were having difficulty getting to their life jackets, so the aircrew was brought in to hoist the four to safety. The helicopter’s rescue swimmer jumped into the river near the boat and swam to it. The flight mechanic in the helicopter and the rescue swimmer hoisted the four into the helicopter using a hoist basket. The four were brought to Air Facility Charleston. None of the boaters were injured during the incident. The boat was salvaged by Tow Boat US, and there was no report of pollution from the vessel. The boaters were returning to Charleston Harbor after a boating trip offshore. The seas where the boaters ran aground were approximately three feet with 17-mph winds and a water temperature of approximately 65 degrees. (April 7)

46-foot cat runs aground

Air Facility Charleston, S.C.

The Coast Guard rescued three boaters whose catamaran had run aground on the North Jetty at the entrance to Winyah Bay, S.C. The three men were aboard the 46-foot catamaran when it ran aground. They called for help on their cell phone. Coast Guard rescue coordinators from Sector Charleston launched a rescue boat from Coast Guard Station Georgetown, S.C., and a rescue helicopter from Air Facility Charleston to assist. The South Carolina Department of Natural Resources also launched a boat to assist the three men. The 25-foot rescue boat from Coast Guard Station Georgetown couldn’t get close enough to the catamaran because of pounding eight-foot seas. The Coast Guard rescue helicopter crew was able to make it to the boat’s position and lowered the helicopter rescue swimmer. The crew of the rescue helicopter hoisted the men to safety and transported them to Georgetown County Airport. The men didn’t suffer any injuries from the incident. (April 23)

Dismasted, fouled props

Air Station Elizabeth City, N.C.

A Coast Guard HH-60 Jayhawk Rescue helicopter crew from Air Station Elizabeth City, N.C., rescued five people from a German-flagged 43-foot sailboat, approximately 170 miles east of Elizabeth City. The Coast Guard was initially notified by a 406 MHz distress signal from the sailboat. The distress signal was generated by an Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacon (EPIRB) attached to the boat. A C-130 crew was the first Coast Guard asset to arrive on scene, and indicated that the boat was dismasted and had fouled propellers. The Coast Guard decided to conduct a hoist of all five people aboard the sailboat due to inclement weather. The sailboat had departed Washington, D.C., enroute to the Azores. (April 8)