Skip to main content

Coast Guard Responses – Mid-Atlantic

Recent responses from the Mid-Atlantic region

Recent responses from the Mid-Atlantic region

Sailboats collide, one missing

StationElizabethCity, N.C.

The Coast Guard suspended its search for a man after he went missing in the Currituck Sound. The Coast Guard, North Carolina Department of Wildlife, and the Currituck County Sheriffs Office searched throughout the day for the man, after he disappeared while sailing. An MH-60 Jayhawk Rescue helicopter flight crew from Coast Guard Air Station Elizabeth City, N.C., and a 21-foot boat crew from StationElizabethCity were involved in the search. The search for the man began when his 47-foot sailboat collided with a 33-foot sailboat. After the collision, the missing man’s sailboat continued on course without stopping. The owner/operator of the second sailboat notified the Coast Guard that there was no indication of anyone on the other sailboat at the time of the collision. The missing man’s sailboat was later located in a marsh by Tow Boat U.S. There was no one present in or around the boat, but the motor was running and the sails were up. A wallet belonging to the missing man was found at the scene. (Jan. 7)

Man, dog rescued

Station Crisfield, Md.

A Coast Guard crew came to the aid of a man and his dog whose 12-foot johnboat began taking on water in the Pocomoke Sound. Coast Guard Sector Baltimore received a cell phone call from a man reporting that his friend was aboard a disabled johnboat that was taking on water. The two men were duck hunting in the area on two separate boats when one of the men’s boats lost power and began to take on water over the side due to the high wind. A rescue crew from Coast Guard Station Crisfield, Md., launched a 25-foot response boat and arrived on scene. The rescue crew was able to retrieve the man and his dog and dewater the vessel. The johnboat was towed to a local boat ramp. (Jan. 15)

Aground, then hoisted

Station Atlantic City, N.J.

The Coast Guard rescued three people in GreatBay inside Little Egg Inlet near Tuckerton, N.J., after their 34-foot boat ran aground. The Coast Guard received a call from a member of Sea Tow reporting the boat aground with three people aboard, ages 80, 76 and 46. A helicopter crew from Coast Guard Air Station Atlantic City launched and arrived on scene. All three men were hoisted into the helicopter and flown to Air Station Atlantic City where they were picked up by family members. The boat was planned to be recovered by Sea Tow during high tide. (Jan. 9)

Rescue calls 5 miles apart

Station Hobucken, N.C.

Rescue crews from Station Hobucken, N.C., responded to two mayday calls in the Pamlico Sound within minutes of each other. The first case began when the Coast Guard received a call for help from the two-person crew of the 30-foot fishing boat, reporting that their vessel had begun taking on water near the mouth of the Pungo River in the Pamlico Sound. Rescue crews onboard a 23-foot Coast Guard search and rescue boat from Station Hobucken and a search and rescue helicopter crew from Marine Corps. Air Station Cherry Point, N.C., were dispatched to the scene. After arriving on scene, the rescue crews escorted the fishing boat to a nearby marina, where it moored safely. Minutes later the Coast Guard received a second mayday call from the four-person crew of a 20-foot pleasure boat, reporting that their vessel was also taking on water and sinking five miles northeast of Pamlico Point, also in the Pamlico Sound and five miles from the scene of the first rescue. Coast Guard rescue crews onboard a 25-foot rescue boat from Station Hobucken and a MH-60 Helicopter from Air Station Elizabeth City, N.C., were sent to the second boat’s location. Upon arriving, the Hobucken crew discovered that the pleasure boat had sunk and rescued the four people from the water. The four people were taken to Station Hobucken where they were turned over to local EMS crews for treatment. (Jan. 24)

Disabled sailboat

Station Cape May, N.J.

A 32-foot sailboat remained moored safely in Cape May Harbor, N.J., after being towed in by a Coast Guard small boat crew from Station Cape May. The crew aboard the sailboat requested Coast Guard assistance because they were disabled and adrift near Eph Shoal in Cape May Inlet. (Dec. 26)

Entangled humpback whale

Station Fort Macon, N.C.

The Coast Guard and the National Oceanic Atmospheric Administration attempted to rescue a humpback whale entangled in fishing line off the Coast of North Carolina and Virginia. Two cutters and two 47-foot motor lifeboat crews from Coast Guard Station Fort Macon, N.C., assisted response efforts with members of the Atlantic Large Whale Disentanglement Network including NOAA Fisheries’ Beaufort Lab and Duke University, and the Provincetown, Mass., Center for Coastal Studies. The animal’s entanglement was considered life threatening, and it had likely been entangled since the summer season. The last known whereabouts of the whale indicated that the animal was moving in a northwesterly direction towards Hampton Roads area. Whale disentanglement is an extremely risky operation. The Coast Guard advises all mariners not to approach or attempt to remove any gear, lines, or buoys from a whale as this could potentially endanger your boat and crew and hamper future disentanglement responses. Intentional close approach or harassment of whales is prohibited by law. The animal’s injuries were deemed life threatening, and NOAA and Coast Guard personnel were in close coordination should the whale be re-sighted and environmental conditions and logistics present themselves suitable for a disentanglement response. (Jan. 9)