Skip to main content

Coast Guard Responses Mid-Atlantic

Recent responses from New Jersey, South Carolina and Florida

Recent responses from New Jersey, South Carolina and Florida

Hoisted from life raft

Air Station Atlantic City, N.J.

Three people were hoisted from a life raft by a Coast Guard helicopter rescue crew after their 38-foot fishing boat began sinking 12 miles south of Fire Island, N.Y. The boat was mostly submerged when Coast Guard Sector Long Island Sound received the distress call over marine band radio channel 16. A rescue boat crew from Station Fire Island immediately responded. An HH-65 helicopter rescue crew from Coast Guard Air Station Atlantic City located three fishermen wearing protective suits in a survival raft. A rescue basket was lowered and all three fishermen were hoisted onboard the helicopter. Due to bad weather, the three fishermen were brought to Station Fire Island, where West Islip emergency medical personnel took them to a local hospital. There were no reported injuries. The three fishermen were in a life raft, wearing protective dry suits and had a working emergency position indicating radio beacon (EPIRB) on board, the Coast Guard reported.(Feb. 13)

Tanker loses anchor

Charleston, S.C.

The Coast Guard and other local agencies were searching for a ship’s missing anchor in the CooperRiver. A 584-foot Liberian-flagged tank vessel lost propulsion in the river just north of the RavenelBridge. The vessel dropped its port anchor; however, it separated from the vessel and sank in the CooperRiver between Drum Island Reach and Wando Lower Reach. The exact position and depth of the anchor was unknown. The tank vessel was secured, and the Coast Guard captain of the port in Charleston established a safety zone for the Cooper and WandoRiver from the RavenelBridge to the DonHoltBridge. Salvage crews eventually recovered the separated anchor and chain from the bottom of the CooperRiver. The captain of the port then canceled the safety zone and re-opened the river to all traffic without restriction. (Feb. 17)

Offshore, taking on water

Station Atlantic City, N.J.

The Coast Guard rescued three fishermen who were aboard a 66-foot boat that was taking on water 66 miles east of Atlantic City, N.J. The Coast Guard received a call from a crewman aboard the fishing boat reporting they needed assistance. A helicopter crew from Coast Guard Air Station Atlantic City arrived on scene and lowered a rescue swimmer and a dewatering pump aboard the boat. A crew aboard another fishing boat arrived on scene and transferred a dewatering pump aboard the stricken boat as well. The fishing boat had taken aboard a total of 11 feet of water by the time rescuers arrived and the stern was completely submerged. The fishermen pumped out the water and located the source of the flooding. The crew of Coast Guard cutter Dependable arrived on scene and patched up the fist-sized hole near the rear engine room on the right side of the fishing boat. The three fishermen were under way on their own power en route for Point Pleasant, N.J. (Feb. 3)

Three overdue fishermen

Air Station Atlantic City, N.J.

The Coast Guard rescued three fishermen who were aboard a disabled 72-foot fishing boat, 44 miles off the coast of Cape May, N.J. The Coast Guard received a call reporting the boat was overdue from a fishing trip. Coast Guard Air Station Atlantic City diverted a helicopter crew from a routine flight to search for thefishermen. The helicopter crew located the fishing boat and learned it was disabled, taking on water and two crew members were injured. The two injured men were the 57-year-old captain, who sustained a hand injury, and a 37-year-old man suffering from asthma-like symptoms. The air crew hoisted the two injured men aboard and transported them to AtlantiCareRegionalMedicalCenter for treatment. Another helicopter crew from Coast Guard Air Station Atlantic City was dispatched to the scene and lowered a dewatering pump to the remaining man aboard the boat. The crew of the 87-foot Coast Guard cutter Ibis, homeported in Cape May, N.J., was on scene and planned to tow the fishing boat back to Cape May. (Jan. 31)

Shark bite victim hoisted

Air Station Miami, Fla.

The crew of a Coast Guard HH-65 Dolphin helicopter from Air Station Miami hoisted a shark-bite victim about 50 miles east of Fort Lauderdale. The 50-year-old man was diving off the 70-foot commercial diving boat when he was attacked by the shark. The Coast Guard received a mayday from a crew member. The Dolphin helicopter crew was immediately launched and, once on scene, safely hoisted the man and transferred him to a hospital in Miami. (Feb. 24)

Boat capsized, owner missing

Station Fort Lauderdale, Fla.

The Coast Guard was looking for information concerning the whereabouts of a 40-year-old man believed to have been on a boat that was found capsized 12 miles east of Haulover Inlet, Fla. A Good Samaritan passed by the overturned 30-foot Century boat and immediately notified the Coast Guard, using a VHF radio. The Good Samaritan reported there were no people in the vicinity of the overturned boat. Search-and-rescue coordinators at Coast Guard Sector Miami launched two 33-foot SPC-LE vessels from Station Fort Lauderdale, Fla., an HH-65C Dolphin helicopter from Air Station Miami and Coast Guard cutter Kodiak Island.A fireboat from Miami-Dade Fire Rescue also responded to the call. TowBoatU.S. towed the capsized boat to the 15th Street boat ramp in Fort Lauderdale, and the Coast Guard began an investigation. Coast Guard search-and-rescue coordinators at Sector Miami eventually talked to the owner of the capsized boat. He reported that he had been in Tampa over the weekend and, when he returned to his home, reported his boat stolen to the police department in Cutler Ridge, Fla. The Coast Guard then suspended its search efforts. (Feb. 18)