Coast Guard responses NE


Recent responses from Massachusetts and other states

Recent responses from Massachusetts and other states

Boat sinks offshore

Air Station Cape Cod, Mass.

The Coast Guard rescued three Maine fishermen near midnight after their boat sank 55 miles southeast of Portland. The Coast Guard received a distress signal from the 44-foot boat’s Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacon, followed by a mayday from the crew indicating that the boat was taking on water. The crewmembers gave their position, and said they were getting into survival suits and preparing to abandon ship just moments before they lost communications. Coast Guard Air Station Cape Cod launched an HU-25 Falcon jet and HH-60 helicopter. The jet arrived on scene and located the survivors and the helicopter safely hoisted them from their life raft. The three men, ages 22 to 41, were taken to Air Station Cape Cod with no injuries. (March 16)


Search for three students

Station Castle Hill, R.I.

The Coast Guard suspended the search for three University of Rhode Island students who were reported missing. The Coast Guard, State Police, Rhode Island DEM, Narragansett police and fire departments, and the Jamestown police and fire departments conducted a round-the-clock extensive search from the air, shoreline and water. The case had been transferred to the Rhode Island environmental agency, with continued support from the Rhode Island State Police and the Narragansett Police. Rhode Island DEM and the other public safety agencies were scheduled to resume patrols. The students reportedly launched a row boat off the university pier early in the morning. Station Castle Hill received a call from a University of Rhode Island security guard who heard screams from the water near the pier. The search turned up an oar, ball cap and a sandal. The water temperature in the area was only 42 degrees. The Coast Guard reminds all boaters that immersion in such cold water is very dangerous. In addition to the threat of hypothermia, a person in cold water rapidly loses dexterity and the ability to swim. (March 14)


Mast strands sailor

Air Station Barbers Point, Hawaii

An HH-65 helicopter rescue crew from Coast Guard Air Station Barbers Point airlifted a sailor who had been stranded 35 miles from Kaena Point off Oahu due to a broken mast on his sailboat. Coast Guard Sector Honolulu Command Center received the distress call from the sailboat. Coast Guard Air Station Barbers Point immediately diverted one of its C-130 aircrafts to aid with the search. Coast Guard Station Honolulu launched its 47-foot motor life boat and Coast Guard Air Station Barbers Point launched a HH-65 Dolphin helicopter. The Coast Guard helicopter crew located and hoisted the sailor about two hours later. The man was transported to Coast Guard Air Station Barbers Point with no reported medical injuries. (Feb. 26)


Boat strikes jetty

Station Miami Beach, Fla.

The Coast Guard rescued four men after a small pleasure boat struck the north jetty at the entrance of Government Cut. A good Samaritan notified the Coast Guard immediately. Crews from Coast Guard Station Miami Beach, Fla., responded with two rescue boats and were on scene within six minutes of receiving the initial report. Upon arriving at the scene, the Coast Guard rescue crews recovered the men and brought them to Coast Guard Station Miami Beach. Miami Dade Fire Rescue responded to the Coast Guard station and provided medical assistance. Two of the men were injured and taken in stable condition to a nearby hospital. The men reported to the Coast Guard they were transiting south looking for the entrance of Government Cut. The cause of the accident was under investigation by Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission and Miami-Dade Police Department. (March 2)