Skip to main content

Coast Guard responses - New England

Recent responses from Massachusetts and other states

Search ends for missing man

Station Point Allerton, Mass.

The Coast Guard suspended the search for a 26-year-old man who was reported missing. Coast Guard crews aboard a 47-foot motor lifeboat and a 25-foot rescue boat from Station Point Allerton, and an HU-25 Falcon Jet and HH-60 Jayhawk helicopter from Air Station Cape Cod searched the beaches and 72 square miles of coastline along Hull, Mass., for the man. The Coast Guard was initially notified that a man was stuck on the breakwall off of CrescentBeach. Station Point Allerton launched a rescue boat and recovered a 19-year-old man, who informed the Coast Guard that he and his cousin had been in a 10-foot canoe when it capsized, sending both men into the water. The younger man swam to the breakwall. The water temperature was reported to be 39.7 degrees. Neither man was wearing a life jacket or any sort of survival equipment. (Feb. 17)


Abandon ship

Station Montauk, N.Y.

The three-person crew of a 68-foot fishing boat abandoned ship fearing the boat was going to sink after it lost power and began taking on water 15 miles southwest of Montauk Point Lighthouse. The crew was rescued by a nearby fishing boat within minutes of entering the water. There were no reports of injuries. Rescue crews were launched from Coast Guard Station Montauk and Coast Guard Air Station Cape Cod immediately after receiving the distress call. The crew of the fishing boat elected to remain aboard the rescuing fishing boat to be able to return to their boat at first light and begin dewatering. Once they returned they found their boat had capsized. CoastGuardCutterBainbridgeIsland was on scene to monitor the situation. The Coast Guard was investigating. (Feb. 16)


Body pulled from sound

Station New Haven, Conn.

The U.S. Coast Guard recovered a body from Long Island Sound that matches the description of a boardsailor reported missing in Long Island Sound about two miles southeast of Stratford Point, Conn. Coast Guard Cutter Sanibel located the body which was recovered by an HH-60 from Air Station Cape Cod and flown to BridgeportHospital for identification. The Coast Guard initially received a call from a person on shore near Stratford Point and immediately coordinated a multiagency search. Rescue boats from Coast Guard Stations New Haven and Eaton’s Neck, and an HH-60 helicopter from Coast Guard Air Station Cape Cod, were joined by rescue boats from the Stratford Fire-Rescue unit and the Bridgeport Marine Police, and an Air National Guard helicopter from Gabreski Field on Long Island. Additionally, the 224-foot training vessel, King’s Pointer, based at the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy in Kings Point, N.Y., was nearby and joined in the search. The Bridgeport Marine Police reported that its rescue boat had recovered a kite in the search area. Cutter Sanibel and a Coast Guard Auxiliary vessel joined the search at first light. This Coast Guard-led multiagency search effort conducted 17 total air and surface searches, and covered about 260 square miles about two miles southeast of the HousatonicRiver. The water temperature was reported at 39 degrees and air temperature at 42 degrees. (Jan. 22)


Boat falls onto road

Buffalo, N.Y.

A former Coast Guard boat fell off its trailer in Buffalo while en route to Panama City, Fla. The Coast Guard turned over the 21-foot rigid hull inflatable boat to the U.S. Navy along with two outboard engines and a trailer. While leaving Buffalo, the 21-foot boat fell off its trailer and onto the roadway. No one was injured. The boat was on its way to NavalSurfaceWarfareCenter in Panama City. The boat was transferred to the U.S. Navy as excess government property. (Feb. 7)