Skip to main content

Coast Guard Responses – New England

Recent responses from around the nation

Recent responses from around the nation

Four boaters rescued

Station Sandy Hook, N.J.

Four people were rescued 100 yards off of Sandy Hook Point after their 19-foot pleasure boat began sinking. The four men, ages 51, 48, 22 and 78, were on board the boat when it began sinking. A Sector New York search and rescue controller received a distress call over the radio stating that the boat was taking on water. The owner of the vessel told the Coast Guard his location. Station Sandy Hook dispatched immediately. A Coast Guard 25-foot rescue boat crew from Station Sandy Hook arrived 10 minutes after the initial call. When the Coast Guard arrived, a Good Samaritan had already pulled three of the four individuals out of the water. The boat was submerged to the point where just the superstructure was out of the water. The Good Samaritan was waving his arms and we saw another individual in the water with a radio in his hands talking to the station. The Coast Guard pulled him out of the water and then transferred the other three from the Good Samaritan’s boat to their own. All of the rescued individuals were brought to Station Sandy Hook where emergency medical personnel were waiting. The oldest man was brought to a nearby Hospital in Red Bank, N.J., for treatment of hypothermia. It was unknown why the boat sank. All individuals were wearing life jackets. The semi-submerged vessel was taken to a nearby marina by Sea Tow. The water temperature was 52 degrees and seas were three feet. (Nov. 11)

3-day search suspended

Station Fort Myers Beach, Fla.

The Coast Guard suspended its three-day search for a person in the water about 10 nautical miles west of Gordon’s Pass, near Naples, Fla. Missing was a 21-year-old man. Another 21-year-old man on the boat was pulled from the water by a Good Samaritan near Gordon’s Pass.The rescued man reported that he was in a 34-foot, white and yellow vessel with two other people aboard when it capsized near Gordon’s Pass. The third man, age 35, was rescued near Gordon’s Pass by a rescue crew from StationFort MyersBeach in Fort Myers, Fla. The two survivors were brought to NaplesCommunityHospital where they were in stable condition. CoastGuardStationFort MyersBeach, Coast Guard Air Station Clearwater, the Coast Guard Cutter Marlin, Capri Fire and Rescue, the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) and the Lee County Sheriff’s Office assisted in the search for the missing man. The rescue crews searched 2,684-square-miles, an area about the size of DadeCounty, with no sign of the man. FWC was investigating the incident. (Oct. 29)