Skip to main content

Coast Guard Responses – New England

Recent responses from Massachusetts and the Northeast

Recent responses from Massachusetts and the Northeast

Sailor overboard

Station Boston, Mass.

A Station Boston 25-foot response boat assisted a 54-year-old man who fell off his sailboat near CastleIsland in BostonHarbor. A nearby sailboat rescued the man, who was then transferred to the Coast Guard boat, where the crew evaluated his condition. Suffering from some abrasions and bruises, the man was transferred to shore where a waiting ambulance took him to Brigham and Women’s Hospital. The Coast Guard coordinated to have the man’s sailboat towed to a local marina. (July 21)

Injured on sailboat

Station South Portland, Maine

The Coast Guard transported an 18-year-old young woman from a sailboat after she fell and hit her head about a mile and a half from Cape Elizabeth Light, Maine. The young woman’s father called Station South Portland from their 34-foot pleasure boat, requesting assistance. A rescue boat crew launched and arrived on scene. The teenager was reported to be in stable condition but quiet. The crew took her aboard and 10 minutes later transferred her to awaiting EMS at the dock in Portland. (Aug. 5)

Alleged overdose aboard

Station Boston, Mass.

Coast Guard Station Boston responded to reports that a man overdosed on heroin while aboard a pleasure boat near LovellIsland. A second man aboard the 33-foot boat called 911 and reported that his friend had overdosed on the drug and needed immediate medical attention. Station Boston launched a 25-foot response boat, took the man aboard and transported him to awaiting EMS at the Black Falcon Terminal in Boston. EMS took him to the New EnglandMedicalCenter. Station Point Allerton launched a 25-foot response boat to conduct a law enforcement boarding of the boat, but when they arrived in the area, the boat had drifted onto the rocks at Ram Head Shoal, about a half-mile from its previous location. When the boat crew attempted to contact the man still aboard, there was no response, and they didn’t see any movement inside. The boat crew could see his flashlight moving around on the boat when they got there, but they lost movement around dawn. They then requested a helicopter. Due to the shallow water, the response boat was unable to get close enough to conduct the boarding. The water was also too shallow for a Boston Police boat or a Massachusetts Environmental Police boat, which were also in the area. Consequently, Coast Guard Air Station Cape Cod launched an HH-60 Jayhawk helicopter. The helicopter arrived, airlifted the man from his boat, and transported him to Massachusetts GeneralHospital for examination. The condition of the two men was unknown. (Aug. 11)

PWC, boat collide

Station Woods Hole, Mass.

Two Coast Guard helicopters and a rescue boat responded after a personal watercraft and a 12-foot pleasure boat collided, resulting in six people entering the water in Vineyard Haven Harbor, Mass. After receiving notification from local police, Coast Guard Station Menemsha relayed the accident to Sector Southeastern New England, which immediately deployed a 41-foot utility boat from Station Woods Hole, Mass. Two HH-60 Jayhawk helicopters from Air Station Cape Cod that were in the area for routine flights were also diverted to assist. In the 12-foot pleasure boat were a man and a woman, and their two children, ages 7 and 9. A 12-year-old boy was operating the personal watercraft with a 6-year-old boy as his passenger. The two adults and all four children went into the water. A good Samaritan who witnessed the accident swam into the harbor and recovered the woman, who had been knocked unconscious. A second good Samaritan recovered the 7 and 9-year old, and an Oak Bluffs Police boat picked up the man. The 12- and 6-year-old boys got back onto the personal watercraft and went to the pier, where they were met by one of their fathers and the Oak Bluffs Police. The family of four was transported by EMS to Martha’s VineyardHospital. Their conditions were unknown. Witnesses pulled the pleasure boat to shore. (Aug. 12)

Missing boys found safe

Station Woods Hole, Mass.

Two 13-year-old boys reported missing near Barlow’s Landing in Buzzards Bay, Mass., were located during a search involving two Coast Guard boats, the Bourne Harbor Patrol, a Bourne Fire Department boat, and a shore-side search by Bourne police. Police officers found the boys uninjured, walking along Wing’s Neck Road, after they apparently beached their 13-foot sailboat when currents in the bay became too strong for them. A 25-foot response boat from Coast Guard Station Cape Cod Canal, Mass., searched for about 45 minutes, and another 25-foot response boat from Station Woods Hole, Mass., was deployed, but didn’t arrive before the boys were located. The Coast Guard was getting ready to launch a helicopter when the boys were located. Bourne police notified Sector Southeastern New England that the boys had been reported missing. Two-foot seas and 10-knot winds were reported in the area, with thunderstorms beginning to roll in. (Aug. 13)

Allergic reaction aboard

Air Station Cape Cod, Mass.

A 50-year-old man suffering an allergic reaction to nuts was medevaced from a 42-foot pleasure boat about 100 miles southeast of Montauk, N.Y. FirstCoastGuardDistrictCommandCenter rescue controllers received an alert from an unlocated EPIRB. They then called the contact number listed for that EPIRB and spoke to the spouse of the captain. She notified the rescue controllers that her husband, who has a known nut allergy, may have accidentally ingested an item containing nuts and was reportedly suffering an allergic reaction. Older EPIRBs, such as this one, do not contain a GPS receiver so the satellite will only receive a serial number. Fortunately, the boat’s EPIRB was properly registered and included a contact phone number. Coast Guard flight surgeon Cmdr. Kenneth Harman of Air Station Cape Cod, recommended an immediate medevac. The Coast Guard launched an HH-60 Jayhawk helicopter and hospital corpsman from Air Station Cape Cod, and an HU-25 Falcon medium-range rescue plane. The Coast Guard helicopter crew located the boat, airlifted the victim and transported him back to the air station where awaiting EMS crew took him to Cape CodHospital. The boat also suffered a steering casualty. Coast Guard Sector Long Island Sound rescue controllers remained in communications contact with the boat’s six-person crew who are reportedly in good physical condition. Cutter Tybee was escorting the boat to NewportR.I. (Aug. 20)

Medical emergency

Station Jonesport, Maine

Station Jonesport, Maine, assisted a 63-year-old man who was experiencing heart-attack symptoms aboard his sailboat, near RoqueIsland. The man was attempting to remove line from lobster pots that had become tangled in the 39-foot sailboat’s propellers when he began to experience symptoms. His wife called the Coast Guard on VHF marine radio for help. Station Jonesport launched a 25-foot response boat and arrived in Lakeman Harbor Cove. The boat crew only had about 10 yards of visibility due to the dense fog and had to use extreme caution to navigate through several narrow, rocky passages while transiting to the cove. The boat crew took the man and his wife aboard and transported them to awaiting EMS at Station Jonesport. EMS transferred them to Down East Community Hospital. The sailboat was anchored in Lakeman Harbor Cove. (Aug. 9)

Two boats collide

Station Eaton’s Neck, N.Y.

A 21-foot boat with one person on board and a 24-foot boat with three people on board collided, resulting in reported minor injuries, near Cockenoe Island, Conn., in Long Island Sound. Rescue boat crews from Station Eaton’s Neck responded immediately to a distress call made from one of the boats involved in the collision. A rescue crew from the Westport Marine Fire Department also responded and the Connecticut Department of Environmental Protection was conducting an investigation. Fog in the area created low visibility, about less than 100 feet. It was unknown whether any of the boaters were wearing life jackets. Both boats sustained damage. (July 25)