Skip to main content

Coast Guard Responses – New England

Recent responses from Maine to New York

Recent responses from Maine to New York

Four people, one dog aground

Station Rockland, Maine

The Coast Guard assisted four people and a dog when their 50-foot sailboat ran aground in Long Cove near Rockland, Maine. A boat crew from Coast Guard Station Rockland went aboard the sailboat to confirm there were no injuries or damage. They left the area afterward, but station personnel contacted the crew of the sailboat every 30 minutes to ensure nothing had changed. The sailboat floated free when the tide came in. They went to a nearby mooring ball to conduct a final damage inspection and found nothing wrong with the boat. (June 26)

Swept out to sea

Station Chatham, Mass.

The Coast Guard rescued two people from the water near Monomoy Island, Mass., after they were swept out to sea by strong currents. A man and his son-in-law were boating near the island when their 30-foot Hinckley ran out of fuel. They were trying to swim to another boat to get help when they got pulled out by the current, according to the coxswain of the Coast Guard boat that responded. A good Samaritan who saw the pair in the water notified Coast Guard Sector Southeastern New England. A 25-foot response boat from Station Chatham (Mass.) was dispatched, and a Jayhawk helicopter, based at Air Station Cape Cod (Mass.) was diverted from a routine flight to assist. The response boat crew pulled the two men, who were wearing life jackets, out of the water and took them back to their boat where they were met by TowBoat U.S. Neither man was injured. (June 27)

Schooner runs aground

Station Eastport, Maine

A Coast Guard boat crew assisted 41 passengers aboard a schooner after it ran aground south of Indian Island, New Brunswick, Canada. Coast Guard Station Eastport received a radio call reporting the 82-foot sailboat hard aground and in need of assistance. No injuries or pollution were reported. The sailboat had not taken on water. A 41-foot boat crew from Station Eastport arrived on scene to evacuate the passengers from the stranded sailboat. The passengers were transported to Station Eastport. On-scene winds were about eight miles per hour with visibility around 100 yards and calm seas. The case was under investigation. A Coast Guard boat crew helped to refloat the sailboat. As it began to refloat with the rising tide, the crew discovered the sailboat had taken 1,500 gallons of water in the center and aft compartments. A crewmember from the Station Eastport boat, which had remained alongside for assistance, boarded with a dewatering pump to help control the flooding. A 40-foot lobster boat from Eastport transferred two additional dewatering pumps from Station Eastport to the sailboat to help dewatering efforts. Another lobster boat from Eastport assisted the grounded sailboat by tying a line off to the schooner’s mast to provide support as the vessel righted itself. Eventually, one of the lobster boats took the schooner in tow and pulled it from the rocky shore. The tow was then transferred to the crew of Station Eastport and dewatering efforts were completed. The schooner was tied up at the EastportBoatSchool where Coast Guard marine inspectors planned to conduct an investigation regarding the cause of the grounding and to assess the damage to the boat. The schooner ran aground about half a mile into Canadian waters. The Coast Guard coordinated the rescue with the RescueCoordinationCenter in Halifax, Nova Scotia. (June 24)

Sailboat taking on water

Station Shinnecock, N.Y.

Six people were rescued after their 44-foot sailboat began taking on water 20 miles south of Shinnecock, N.Y. The crew of the sailboat contacted Coast Guard Sector Long Island Sound via marine band radio and activated their EPIRB when their sailboat began rapidly filling with water. A Coast Guard Station Shinnecock 47-foot motor life boat (MLB) with a rescue crew was dispatched immediately. The rescue crew transferred all six people safely aboard the MLB and dewatered the sailboat. The MLB towed the sailboat back to Station Shinnecock. All the crewmembers of the sailboat were wearing life jackets. The sailboat also had a life raft, cellphones and radios on board in case of emergency. (May 31)