Skip to main content

Coast Guard Responses - New England

Recent responses from Massachusetts and the Northeast

Recent responses from Massachusetts and the Northeast

One day, two rescues

Station Point Allerton, Mass.

The Coast Guard rescued a man who fell off a cliff, then saved a fishing boat from sinking in Plymouth, Mass. An HH-60 Jayhawk helicopter from Air Station Cape Cod, a 47-foot motor lifeboat from Station Point Allerton, and a 25-foot response boat from Station Cape Cod Canal sped to assist a 40-foot Plymouth-based fishing boat taking on water and in danger of sinking with three people aboard just outside of Plymouth harbor. The Station Point Allerton 47-footer arrived on scene and provided assistance escorting the boat to GreenHarbor. The HH-60 helicopter and the 25-foot response boat were both launched but were returned to base before arriving on scene. One of the crewmembers aboard the fishing boat called Coast Guard Sector Boston on VHF channel 16 to report that the boat was taking on water at an uncontrollable rate. He stated that the captain and crewmen were donning survival suits and had already deployed the life raft. Sector Boston issued a radio broadcast urging mariners in the area to assist. Tug Catherine Foss responded and arrived on scene with the fishing boat. Additionally, the Plymouth harbor master responded and arrived shortly after. Catherine Foss crewmembers provided dewatering pumps and took the three fishing boat crewmen aboard. The crewmembers re-boarded their boat when it was almost completely dewatered, and they realized that the engine had come off its mount, exposing the sea chest. The crew plugged the sea chest and the fishing boat began making way under its own power toward Green Harbor, Mass. The motor lifeboat put the fishing boat on a 15-minute communications schedule while escorting it to the state fish pier. The fishing boat was eventually safely moored. Earlier, an HH-60 Jayhawk helicopter from Air Station Cape Cod responded to a request from the Plymouth police department to airlift a man who had fallen from a cliff in Plymouth and landed on the rocks below. The helicopter arrived on scene, airlifted the patient and transported him to JordanHospital in Plymouth. He was in stable condition upon arrival at the hospital. (April 26)

Father, son capsize

Air Station Cape Cod, Mass.

An 82-year-old man died and his son was rescued by the Coast Guard after their boat capsized near the Hog Island No. 2 buoy in Buzzards Bay, Mass. The father was recovered from the water unconscious and not breathing nearly one hour after his son was saved from their 20-foot pleasure boat. The Coast Guard response boat was returning from a routine patrol when the crew spotted the son on top of his boat and took him aboard. His father, who had been on the boat with him, was missing. The response boat immediately began searching the area for the man’s father. Additionally, Coast Guard Cutter Flyingfish was diverted from its nearby patrol to assist with the search, and an HH-60 Jayhawk helicopter from Air Station Cape Cod was launched. The aircrew located the father and the response boat crew took him aboard. Father and son were transported to Onset State Pier where an ambulance was awaiting for further transport to TobeyHospital in Wareham, Mass. The father was pronounced dead shortly after arrival at the hospital. The water temperature in Buzzards Bay was 50 degrees F with 4- to 6-foot seas. (May 20)

Missing paddler

Station South Portland, Maine

Coast Guard crew members from Station South Portland and Air Station Cape Cod were searching for a missing 40-year-old man who was kayaking in the Biddeford Pool area near the Saco River, Maine. Coast Guard Sector Northern New England was notified that the man was reported missing to the Biddeford Police Department. His kayak had been located. According to his kayaking partner, both men were in single kayaks in the Biddeford Pool area when they simultaneously capsized. The man reporting the incident righted his kayak, but lost sight of his friend. The man then paddled to a nearby island, spent the night due to weather and exhaustion, and paddled back to shore early in the morning to notify the police. The body of the missing kayaker was located by Maine Marine Patrol about six miles east-northeast of the SacoRiver entrance. Coast Guard crew members from Station South Portland and Air Station Cape Cod secured waterside and flight search patterns and called off further search efforts following the discovery. Both men were both wearing wet suits, personal flotation devices and strobe lights. On-scene weather at the time of the incident was reported as winds at 22 knots and 5-foot seas with a small craft advisory in effect. Water temperature was approximately 44 degrees. (May 9)

Three teens rescued

Station Eatons Neck, N.Y.

The Coast Guard rescued three teenagers after they entered the water and were carried away from their 21-foot pleasure boat six miles off the coast of Northport, N.Y., in Long Island Sound. The group of friends were boating when one fell from the boat without a life jacket. The other two jumped into the water with three life jackets and a life ring and swam toward him. The two were able to reach him and hand him a life jacket but they were unable to swim back to the boat because the tide was carrying it away. A fourth boater, who remained on the boat, was unable to start the engine and called 911 operators. Emergency operators passed details of the situation to the SectorLong IslandSoundCommandCenter in New Haven, Conn. Rescue boat crews from Coast Guard Station Eatons Neck, Suffolk County Marine Bureau, Northport Fire Rescue, Suffolk County Fire Rescue and a Coast Guard Auxiliary air crew responded. The Auxiliary air crew arrived on scene first and immediately located the teenager on the adrift boat. The crew passed its location to the command center, narrowing the search pattern as the boat crews zeroed in on likely locations of the missing teens. They were found floating together, clinging to the life ring and trying to swim to shore. They were rescued from the 58-degree water by the crew from Station Eatons Neck at 6 p.m. One of the young men was getting hypothermic. They were all taken ashore at a nearby beach where EMTs were waiting to treat them. From there, they were taken to HuntingtonHospital in stable condition. (May 14)