Skip to main content

Coast Guard responses Sept 2007

Recent responses from the Mid-Atlantic region

Recent responses from the Mid-Atlantic region

Caught in a storm

AirStationElizabethCity, N.C.

The Coast Guard rescued the crews of two sailboats caught in a storm packing 35-mph winds and 40-foot seas along the coast of North and South Carolina. The first rescue took place when five men aboard a 44-foot sailboat requested to be removed after it became disabled in 30-foot seas and 40-mph winds, 275 miles east of Charleston, S.C. The Coast Guard launched a C-130 airplane from Air Station Elizabeth City, N.C., and diverted the 846-foot Bahamas flagged Automated Mutual Assistance Vessel Rescue vessel CMACGM Puget to assist. After arriving on scene the crew of the sailboat was safely transferred aboard Puget which planned on transporting them to Bermuda. The second rescue took place soon after when the Coast Guard C-130 crew, flying on the previous case, was contacted by the crew of a 34-foot sailboat, who also requested to be removed from their boat which was caught in the same storm 160 miles southeast of Cape Fear, N.C. A Coast Guard helicopter crew from Air Station Elizabeth City, N.C., airlifted the crew of the second sailboat and transported them to the WilmingtonAirport. (June 3)

Taking on water

Station Great Egg, N.J.

Coast Guard and commercial salvage crews de-watered a 27-foot pleasure boat. The Coast Guard received a call for assistance from four people aboard the boat, taking on water about five nautical miles east of OceanCity. Boat crews from Coast Guard Station Townsends Inlet, N.J., and Coast Guard Station Great Egg, in OceanCity, responded to assist. After the pleasure boat was successfully de-watered, it was towed into port by the crew of the commercial salvage boat while the four crewmembers were transported to Somers Point, N.J., by the Station Great Egg boat crew. (May 27)

Three rescued

Station Milford Haven, Va.

Rescue crews from Coast Guard Station Milford Haven, Air Station Elizabeth City, N.C., Middlesex County Fire Department marine unit, and the Virginia Marine Resource Commission rescued three men after their canoe capsized in the RappahannockRiver. The three were rescued after a Middlesex County Sheriff’s deputy reported an overturned canoe in the RappahannockRiver. One man was rescued by the Middlesex Fire Department while the other two were rescued by Station Milford Haven. All three were transferred to Virginia Marine Resource Commission personnel on shore. None of the men were wearing life jackets. (May 31)

Sailboat adrift

Station Portsmouth, Va.

A Norfolk man whose boat was discovered adrift near Waterside in Norfolk, Va., has been found safe after a seven-hour search. The man called Coast Guard Sector Hampton Roads to report that he was safe at a friend’s house. Rescue boats from Coast Guard Station Portsmouth and Portsmouth Fire and Rescue, and an Air Station Elizabeth City, N.C., based helicopter searched the ElizabethRiver. The Portsmouth Police, Norfolk Police and Virginia Marine Resources Commission also assisted with the search. Norfolk dispatch notified the Coast Guard that the man’s sailboat had broken free of its moorings in Portsmouth and drifted into a pier in Waterside. The keys were in the ignition, the boat’s interior lights were on, charts were out and its dinghy was missing. These were indicators that the sailboat was possibly in trouble. The Coast Guard urges that all boaters keep family and friends notified of their intentions. (June 6)

Disoriented in foul weather

Station Portsmouth, Va.

A Coast Guard crew assisted two adults and a 3-year-old child after they became disoriented in foul weather on board their 18-foot boat in the upper James River. Coast Guard Sector Hampton Roads received a call at about midnight from the boat’s operator, stating that she was lost on the river. She had been making for the PaganRiver and had missed it in the dark. A man and child were also on board. A crew from Coast Guard Station Portsmouth headed to the boat’s suspected location and found the group as a thunderstorm moved through the area. The woman and the child were taken on board the Coast Guard boat, and a Coast Guard crewman boarded the pleasure boat to assist the man on board with navigation. The people were taken safely to a marina in Newport News. (June 9)

Disabled and adrift

Station Manasquan Inlet, N.J.

A Coast Guard boat crew and a helicopter crew rescued three sailors from a 34-foot sailboat disabled and adrift about one nautical mile off Manasquan Inlet, N.J. The crews rescued the three men, ages 55 to 66, from the sailboat, homeported in New Brunswick. The Coast Guard Sector Field Office Atlantic City duty officer received a mayday call from the crew of the sailboat, reporting that its sails were torn and the boat was out of fuel. A rescue crew aboard a 47-foot motor lifeboat launched from Station Manasquan Inlet, but was unable to remove the three men from the sailboat due to the sea conditions. The Coast Guard crew reported experiencing seas of 8 to 10 feet. A rescue helicopter crew aboard an HH-65C Dolphin rescue helicopter launched from Air Station Atlantic City. Once on scene, the crew lowered their rescue swimmer into the water who swam to the sailboat to coordinate the extraction of the three men. Each of the sailboat’s crewmen entered the water, and two were hoisted aboard the helicopter. The third boater and the rescue swimmer were picked up by the Coast Guard boat crew. The helicopter crew transported the two boaters to the New Jersey State Police landing pad in Sea Girt, N.J. The boaters were taken to Station Manasquan Inlet to meet the third boater and a waiting EMS crew and were released without injury. Later in the morning, the three boaters were transported to the sailboat and provided fuel by a commercial salvage boat crew. The sailboat was reportedly en route to Manasquan Inlet. (June 14)