Skip to main content

Coast Gurad Responses – Florida and the South

Recent responses from Florida

Recent responses from Florida

Mysterious boater death

Sector St. Petersburg, Fla.

The Coast Guard suspended its search for three boaters after two of the boaters were located deceased near Snell Point in St. Petersburg, Fla. A 55-year-old man and a 54-year-old woman were found deceased by local law enforcement marine units and transferred to emergency medical service personnel on shore. Initial reports indicated that there were possibly three boaters aboard the 37-foot boat. After further investigation, authorities believed there were only two people aboard when it left the Gandy Boat Ramp, in St. Petersburg. Rescue crews from Coast Guard Sector St. Petersburg; Coast Guard Air Station Clearwater, Fla; the Pinellas and Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Offices; the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC); the Tampa Police Department and MacDill Air Force Base security aided in the search. FWC planned to investigate the incident. The Coast Guard began searching for three boaters after an unmanned, adrift 37-foot boat was discovered with apparent fire damage about one mile south of MacDill Air Force Base, in Tampa, Fla. (April 6)

Rapidly taking on water

Station Port Canaveral, Fla.

A Coast Guard rescue crew saved three men and their boat after it began to take on water approximately 13 miles east of Port Canaveral. A 30-year-old man was piloting his 22-foot recreational fishing boat with his 36- and 32-year-old passengers when the outboard motor began having mechanical problems and the boat started to take on water. The three called the Coast Guard for help because their boat was taking on water fast. Rescue coordinators from Sector Jacksonville, Fla., launched a rescue boat from Station Port Canaveral and a rescue helicopter from Air Station Clearwater, Fla., to assist. The rescue crew from Station Port Canaveral arrived at the boat’s position first and began dewatering with a dewatering pump. The helicopter crew turned back once the rescue boat crew got the flooding under control. With the boat safe from sinking, the rescue boat crew towed the 22-foot boat with the three men aboard to a marina in Port Canaveral. (April 25)

Circling boat, no skipper

Station Sand Key, Fla.

Crewmembers from Coast Guard Station Sand Key, in Clearwater, Fla., rescued two boaters from the water in the vicinity of Clearwater Beach. A Good Samaritan called Coast Guard watchstanders, reporting a 23-foot center-

console was going in circles with no one aboard about three miles west of Clearwater Pass. The Good Samaritan was able stop the boat’s engine and, in doing so, located a wallet on board belonging to one of the missing boaters. Two 25-foot response boats from Coast Guard Station Sand Key arrived on scene and began searching for the missing boaters. A 54-year-old man was pulled from the water about five miles west of Clearwater Beach. A 44-year-old man was rescued about a half-mile away from the first man. Neither man was wearing a lifejacket. One of the men reported that he was suffering from moderate hypothermia. According to one of the men, they were ejected from the boat when it hit a wave. Their boat was brought to Station Sand Key. (April 19)

Empty boat adrift

Station Pensacola, Fla.

Coast Guard and local authorities were searching for a missing 53-year old man near Ono Island Ala. The Alabama Marine Police (AMP) found his 16-foot blue and white fiberglass boat adrift with the radio turned on, on the Ono River south of Ono Island. They later found his truck running at the Ono Island Marina. A watchstander at Coast Guard Sector Mobile was notified of the case and launched a 25-foot rescue boat crew from Coast Guard Station Pensacola, Fla. and an HH-65C rescue helicopter crew from Coast Guard Air Station New Orleans. (April 13)

Disabled and adrift

Station Ft. Walton Beach, Fla.

The Coast Guard has located two missing sailors aboard a sailboat south of Fort Walton Beach, Fla. The two missing sailors were located after they contacted Coast Guard Station Ft. Walton Beach reporting that they had been pushed south by wind after the engine onboard their 35-foot sailboat had become disabled. The men reported to Coast Guard crews that they were currently sailing to Fort Walton Beach. Coast Guard and Air Force search and rescue crews searched more than 31,000 square-miles of the Gulf of Mexicoand the Intracoastal Waterway between Clearwater, Fla. and Corpus Christi, Texas. The sailors, one 68 years old and the other 66, were reported overdue by the wife of one of the missing men after she hadn’t received a scheduled phone call from her husband. (March 28)