Prosecutors in Italy rejected Tuesday a plea bargain offer by the captain of the cruise ship Costa Concordia, which capsized off Italy's west coast last year with the loss of 32 lives.
Capt. Francesco Schettino is accused of manslaughter, causing a shipwreck and abandoning ship. He has admitted making mistakes but says he should not be the only one blamed for the disaster.
Schettino's lawyer Francesco Pepe told reporters that they had always intended to fight the case at trial and had only entered the plea bargain because the five other defendants had done so, leaving the captain isolated as potentially the sole defendant on trial.
"We think now we will go to trial. We want the details of what really happened to come to light," Schettino's lawyer, Francesco Pepe, told reporters.