Skip to main content

Crash underscores CO poisoning risks

A collision on an Idaho lake is highlighting the risks of carbon monoxide poisoning while boating. Two boaters were stricken March 13 while fishing and crashed into a docked sailboat.

The wind was too strong to use the electric trolling motor, so they used the boat's main engine, a 50-horsepower Evinrude. To keep warm, they fired up a propane gas-powered space heater and used the boat's rain cover for shelter.

Between the exhaust from the outboard and fumes from the heater in the enclosed space, the two were sickened, but apparently managed to stay semiconscious.

Click here to read the full report.