Built atop a reef over a five-year span, 200-year-old Bell Rock Lighthouse was listed as one of the "Seven Wonders of the Industrial World."
The crew that erected the 116-foot stone structure 11 miles off Scotland's east coast spent long stretches on a floating workshop with living quarters. The reef, in the shipping lane to Dundee, is just 4 feet below the surface at spring low tide. www.bellrock.org.uk
Test your knowledge with these Coast Guard license exam prep questions from the National Captain's Institute www.captains.com
1. INTERNATIONAL RULES: You are under way in restricted visibility and hear one short, one prolonged and one short blast. What does this signal mean?
A. vessel in distress
B. vessel fishing
C. vessel at anchor
D. vessel towing
2. INTERNATIONAL RULES: A sailboat is approaching from your port side on a collision course. You should:
A. keep clear
B. maintain course and speed
C. sound one blast on the whistle and turn to starboard
D. stop engines
3. If a gasoline engine will not start, which system is the most probable source of the problem?
4. If you suddenly see yellow smoke on the water, it would indicate:
A. a submarine coming up to periscope depth
B. a vessel in distress
C. divers beneath the water
D. a seaplane landing
5. Which of the following would be applied to a serious third-degree burn?
A. raw water
B. burn salve
C. sterile covering
This article originally appeared in the May 2011 issue.
1.C, Rule 35(g) 2. A, Rule 18 3.A 4.A 5.D